Ask The Experts: Asset Allocation - Conservative vs. Aggressive Mix


I just open a Roth IRA account, and I will like to retire in 10 years. Should I invest in stock, or something more conservative?  -Paulina, FL

Paulina: It depends. If you will need to touch all of this money in 10 years, a balanced or conservative mix of stock and bond mutual funds may be appropriate. If you will only need a portion of your money each year after you retire, a more aggressive mix may be appropriate. Choosing your asset allocation is one of the most important decisions you will need to make. Don't leave it to chance. Consider hiring a fee-only advisor in your area who can help you. You can find one at or

>>Read previous Ask The Expert posts
>>Question for our experts? Email them here

Bill Losey, CFP®, CSA, America's Retirement Strategist®, is the resident retirement planning

expert on CNBC’s “On the Money”. He has been named one of America’s Top Financial Planners and is the author of Retire in a Weekend! The Baby Boomer’s Guide to Making Work Optional. He also publishes Retirement Intelligence, a free weekly award-winning newsletter. Bill can be reached online at