The Dow , S&P and Nasdaq were all down over 2%, as of late this morning. While these moves are significant, we have seen drops like this before in this rally. One month ago, on May 13, all the indices were down over 2% on the same day. All of these indices finished March, April, and May to the upside. Even the Dow Transports, which was down ~4.5% this morning, was down over 4.7% on May 13 and recovered for the month.
Earlier this morning, the Dow was down ~215 points or -2.4%, the Nasdaq Composite was down ~55 points or -2.9%, and the S&P was down ~25 points or -2.6%.
- The last time the Dow closed down over 215 points was on 4/20/09 when it fell -289.6 points or -3.56%
- The last time the Nasdaq closed down over 55 points was on 4/20/09 when it fell -64.86 points or -3.88%
- The last time the S&P closed down over 25 points was on 4/20/09, when it fell -37.21 points or -4.28%
Weighing the most on the indices today are
- For the Dow - 3M , Chevron , Boeing , Caterpillar and Exxon Mobil
- For the S&P - Exxon Mobil , Wal-Mart, Cisco , General Electric and Oracle
- For the NASDAQ 100 - Cisco , Oracle , Qualcomm , Google and Intel
Comments? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org