Europe News

More than 90 Killed in Norway Shooting, Bombing Attack

A suspected far-right gunman in police uniform killed at least 85 people in a ferocious attack on a youth summer camp of Norway's ruling Labour party, hours after a bomb killed seven in Oslo.

Anders Behring Breivik

Witnesses said the gunman, identified by police as a 32-year-old Norwegian, moved across the small, wooded island of Utoeya in a lake northwest of Oslo on Friday, firing at young people who scattered in panic or tried to swim to safety.

Police detained the tall, blond suspect, named by local media as Anders Behring Breivik, and charged him for the killing spree and the bombing of government buildings in Oslo.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, capturing the shock this normally quiet nation of 4.8 million is experiencing, said: "A paradise island has been transformed into a hell." Deputy Police Chief Roger Andresen would not speculate on the motives for what was believed to be the deadliest attack by a lone gunman anywhere in modern times.

"He describes himself as a Christian, leaning toward right-wing Christianity, on his Facebook page," Andresen said.

Norwegian media say the Oslo bomb was made of fertilizer and that the suspect owned a company, Breivik Geofarm, which a supply firm said he had used to buy the material.

"These are goods that were delivered on May 4," Oddny Estenstad, a spokeswoman at farm supply chain Felleskjoepet Agri, told Reuters. "It was 6 tons of fertilizer, which is a small, normal order for a standard agricultural producer." It was not clear if Breivik, a gun club member according to local media, had more than one weapon or whether he had stocked ammunition on Utoeya, where police found explosives.

Police combed the island and the lake, even using a mini-submarine to search the water, police inspector Bjoerne Erik Sem-Jacobsen told Reuters. "We don't know how many people were on the island, therefore we have to search further."

Initial speculation after the Oslo blast had focused on Islamist militant groups, but it appears that only Breivik — and perhaps unidentified associates — was involved.

Police said they were checking media reports that Breivik had an accomplice. "We have heard the same witness account that there was a second attacker," Norwegian daily Verdens Gang quoted police inspector Einar Aas as saying.

On the Ground in Oslo

Home-grown right-wing militancy has generated occasional attacks elsewhere, notably in the United States, where Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people with a truck bomb at a federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and many world leaders, condemned the Norway attacks. "This tragedy strikes right at the heart of the soul of a peaceful people," she said.

Andresen, the deputy police chief, said the casualty toll could rise. "As of now we have 84 dead at Utoeya," he said. "In Oslo, with the explosion and the impact it had, we are not yet sure if that number is final."

Police have not said how many people were wounded.

A person wounded in the shooting at the Labour Youth League summer camp in Utoeya is stretchered off an helicopter upon arrival at an Oslo hospital.
Hakon Mosvold Larsen | AFP | Getty Images


Teenagers at the island camp, 30 km (20 miles) northwest of Oslo, fled screaming, many leaping into the water when the assailant began spraying them with gunfire, witnesses said.

"I just saw people jumping into the water, about 50 people swimming towards the shore. People were crying, shaking, they were terrified," said Anita Lien, 42, who lives by Tyrifjord lake, a few hundred meters (yards) from Utoeya.

"They were so young, between 14 and 19 years old." Survivor Jorgen Benone said: "It was total chaos...I think several lost their lives as they tried to get over to the mainland.

"I saw people being shot. I tried to sit as quietly as possible. I was hiding behind some stones. I saw him once, just 20, 30 meters away from me. I thought 'I'm terrified for my life', I thought of all the people I love.

"I saw some boats but I wasn't sure if I could trust them. I didn't know who I could trust any more."

"We had all gathered in the main house to talk about what had happened in Oslo. Suddenly we heard shots. First we thought it was nonsense. Then everyone started running," one survivor, a 16-year-old called Hana, told Norway's Aftenposten.

"I saw a policeman stand there with earplugs. He said 'I'd like to gather everyone'. Then he ran in and started shooting at people. We ran down towards the beach and began to swim." Hana said the gunman fired at people in the water.

Many hid in buildings or fled to the woods as shots echoed across the island hosting the annual camp for the youth wing of the Labour party, dominant in Norway since World War Two.

Breivik is a former member of a populist party, a freemason and a blogger who attacked multi-culturalism and Islam. He had also once belonged to the Progress Party, the second largest party in parliament, party officials said.

Stoltenberg said he knew many of the victims personally. "I know the young people and I know their parents," he said. "And what hurts more is that this place where I have been every summer since 1979, and where I have experienced joy, commitment and security, has been hit by brutal violence -- a youth paradise has been transformed into a hell."

"What happened at Utoeya is a national tragedy," he said. "Not since World War Two has our country seen a greater crime."

Stoltenberg later flew by helicopter to a hotel in the town of Sundvollen where many survivors were taken for counseling and police interviews. Relatives converged on the hotel. "A whole world is thinking of them," the prime minister said.

After Stoltenberg's arrival, police detained and handcuffed a man outside the hotel. The man told reporters he had been stopped because he had a knife in his pocket.

Norwegian King Harald, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon also visited the hotel to comfort survivors and their families.


Breivik's Facebook page was blocked, but a cached version describes a conservative Christian from Oslo who owned his own organic farming company, called Breivik Geofarm.

The profile veers between references to lofty political philosophers and gory popular films, television shows and video games. The Facebook account appears to have been set up on 17 July. The site lists no "friends" or social connections.

The profile lists interests including hunting, political and stock analysis, with tastes in music ranging from classical to trance, a hypnotic form of dance music.

Breivik had also set up a Twitter account recently, with a single post on July 17, a citation from 19th century thinker John Stuart Mill: "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100,000 who have only interests."

About 10 policemen were outside Breivik's registered address in a four-story red brick building in west Oslo.

The Norwegian daily Verdens Gang quoted a friend as saying he became a right-wing extremist in his late 20s. It said he expressed strong nationalistic views in online debates and had been a strong opponent of multi-culturalism.

njured people are treated by medics at the scene of an explosion near the government buildings in Norway's capital Oslo.
Holm Morten | AFP | Getty Images

Oslo was quiet but tense after Friday's mid-afternoon bombing which broke the windows of the prime minister's building and damaged the finance and oil ministry buildings. The district attacked is the heart of power in Norway. But security is not tight in a country unused to such violence and better known for awarding the Nobel Peace Prize and mediating in conflicts, including the Middle East and Sri Lanka.

A Utoeya survivor said she was still in shock. "I cannot squeeze out one tear. I cannot believe it," wrote 23-year-old student Khamshajiny Gunaratnam on her blog.

She said participants in the summer camp were just digesting news of the Oslo bombing when they heard shooting. "'Who the hell is that joker?' we thought. Who would have thought that it actually wasn't a joke?"

Terrified, Gunaratnam hid in toilets in the main building and then fled to the shore. "We fell and stumbled through a lot of bushes and large rocks. I got many scratches."

When the shooting came closer, she jumped into the cold water and was eventually picked up by a rescue boat.

"Even when we had reached the boat, I could not relax...He could still hit us with his machinegun!" Gunaratnam wrote. I did not feel safe. Not at all."

Eskil Pedersen, leader of the Labour Party youth group, responded defiantly to the massacre. "We will not give up in the struggle for what we believe in -- we will come back to Utoeya."

He said former Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland had been on Utoeya earlier on Friday but left by boat before the attack.

Additional reporting by Walter Gibbs, Anna Ringstrom, Victoria Klesty, Henrik Stoelen and Ole Petter Skonnord in Oslo, William Maclean in London and Patrick Lannin in Stockholm; Writing by Alistair Lyon; editing by Jon Boyle