Press Releases

Research and Markets: Airport Retail Trends of Business Travelers in North America, 2012-2013: 8% of Business Travelers Used the 'Shop and Collect' Facility at Airport Retail Stores Within the Last Six Months

DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Research and Markets ( has announced the addition of Canadean Ltd's new report "Airport Retail Trends of Business Travelers in North America, 2012-2013" to their offering.

The average North American business travelers expenditure per visit to airport based duty-free and duty paid retail outlets is US$69 and US$44 respectively

Key Market Issues

Overall, North American travelers declared that in the last six months, 36% of their purchases at duty-free airport retail stores were 'pre-planned', while 64% of purchases were 'impulsive.

In total, 66% of their overall purchases made at duty paid airport retail outlets turned out to be 'impulsive', whereas the remaining 34% constituted 'pre-planned' purchases.

In total, 95%, 89%, and 87% of North American business travelers identified 'printed media', 'stationery and cards', and 'music and video' respectively as key products purchased from 'duty paid' shops.

Key Highlights

According to calculations, the average time spent by a business traveler at duty-free airport retail outlets is '22 min', as compared with '19 minutes' at duty paid outlets.

Overall, 34% of business travelers spend between 'US$16-US$20' per visit on food and beverages; while 22% spend 'US$11-US$15'.

'Promoting price advantages over city-center retailers' and 'adapting offers to passenger profiles' are key activities that optimize the business of airport retailers, as identified by 81% and 39% of business travelers respectively.

Companies Mentioned

- The University of British Columbia's Sauder School of Business

- Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)

- Miami International Airport

- Thomas Pink shops

- Mont Blanc

- Los Angeles International Airport

- Kitson

- Juicy Couture

- Guess

- Hugo

For more information visit

Source: Canadean Ltd

Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager.
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
Sector: Retail

Source: Research and Markets