Dublin, Sept. 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Research and Markets
(http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/qks2lw/the_rise_of_media) has announced the addition of the "The Rise of Media Apps in Smart Mobile Devices" report to their offering.
In 2013, smart mobile device (i.e., smartphones and tablet PCs) shipments will surpass the total number of computing and digital media devices shipped. However, the challenge posed by smart media devices is not about the devices themselves, but rather the software platforms (i.e., Apple iOS, Google Android, Windows RT and others) upon which they run. They have become the basis for establishing a whole new series of media applications that are fundamentally changing the relationship that consumers have with their media service providers and the digital content they want to access.
- They afford consumers more control in managing access of their overall relationship with digital media content. They allow customers to manage their pay TV accounts online, and to remotely control digital media devices in the home to record and store content.
- They incorporate many of the computing, Internet, cloud and social media-type application features that help consumers find and access more of the type of digital content they want to see.
These two phenomena pose a number of threats to the existing media service delivery business models, but, in particular, they:
- Shift some emphasis from broadcasting digital media over delivery assets to streaming digital media through over-the-top distribution assets;
- De-emphasize the use of broadcast and digital media devices technology as a means of controlling consumer access to digital media content; and
- Establish a new context for media service providers to create direct relationships with individual consumers.
This report is relevant to smartphone and tablet PC device and software developers, computing and digital media device vendors, application store and applications development networks, cloud computing service vendors, home networking equipment vendors, wireless service providers, OTT service providers, and players across the entire media and entertainment value chain, including content creators, content aggregations, content distribution, pay TV service providers, and broadcast services companies. The report contains five-year forecasts for worldwide computing, digital media and smart mobile device shipments as well as worldwide mobile device shipments by platform.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/qks2lw/the_rise_of_media
About Research and Markets
Research and Markets is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.
Source:Research and Markets