SALT LAKE CITY, Sept. 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- This past May, Unishippers Global Logistics, LLC – the first and one of the largest small package and freight shipping resellers in the U.S. – launched a Veterans Franchise Giveaway contest in collaboration with USA Cares to award a deserving, qualified military veteran a free National Franchise. The contest concluded on September 3, 2013 with over 50 entries. Through careful consideration, the Unishippers team has narrowed it down to the top five semifinalists.
To enter, veterans had to submit an entry explaining why they were interested in owning a Unishippers franchise and how their military experience will help them be a successful Unishippers franchisee. Now that the five semifinalists have been selected, the Unishippers corporate office will be flying them out to Salt Lake City for a special Discovery Day event where they will meet Unishippers executives, department leaders and the panel of judges. The final winner will be announced on Veterans Day, November 11, 2013.
"After several months of reviewing submissions, interviewing candidates and having candidates talk to our franchisees we're excited to have narrowed it down to the top five semifinalists, who are all more than deserving and qualified in their own, individual ways," said Kevin Lathrop, President of Unishippers. "It is an honor to be able to reward a military veteran for their service and dedication to our country, and we look forward to seeing the winner apply the leadership traits he or she developed in the military as a Unishippers franchisee."
The top five semifinalists are as follows:
- Terrance D. Turner. Turner lives in lives in Niceville, FL with his wife, Ruby. During his time with the military, Turner served as a Logistics Superintendent for the US Air Force, a Master Scheduler/Planner for the Crestview Aerospace Corp, and as a Logistics Manager for the Department of Defense regarding foreign military sales. Outside of the military, Turner also worked as a Logistics Manager for COLSA Corporation, a technology services and solutions company.
- Christopher M. Schultz. Schultz lives in Nile, MI with his wife, Fawn, and their five children. During his time with the military, Schultz served as an lnstructor/Squad Leader for the US Army Full Time National Guard. Outside of the military, Schultz worked as a Technician for Ryder Transportation, an Assistant Superintendent for Alro Steel Corporation and as a Senior Sales Representative for Absolute Innovations.
- Marcie Mascaro. Mascaro lives in Maryville, TN with her husband, Kenneth, and their two children. During her fifteen years with the military, Mascaro served as a Chinese Linguist, Broadcast Journalist and Broadcasts Operations Manager for the Air Force, as well as a Producer/Director for the Air National Guard and currently as a Public Affairs Officer for the Air National Guard, communicating the importance of their mission to residents, business owners and politicians. She also works part-time as a home-based public relations consultant for small businesses, providing internet marketing services, social media management and web design and maintenance.
- Christopher G. Jones. Jones lives in San Antonio, TX. During his thirteen years with the Navy, Jones served as a Line Division Officer, Senior Combat Flight Aviator, Plans/Production Officer and Assistant Operations Officer. As a Naval Aviator, he piloted the F18E Super Hornet. He completed two combat tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. During his flying career, most of his efforts involved providing close air support for the troops on the ground and S as a Flight Instructor back in the States. Outside of the military, Jones has a Master's degree in Business and works part-time as a Reserve Police Officer.
- Peter N. DeCoursey. DeCoursey lives in Indianapolis, IN. During his time with the military, DeCoursey served as a 92F Petroleum Supply Specialist for the US Army Active Duty. Outside of the military, DeCoursey worked as a Commercial Roofer for AAA Roofing, a part-time Technician for 2 Brother's C.C., a Sales Consultant for CJD Consultants and as a Sales/Accounts Representative for Fitzmark Inc., a transportation company.
Founded in 1987, Unishippers has grown to the largest reseller of shipping services in the nation with more than 290 franchise locations. Headquartered in Salt Lake City, UT, the Unishippers concept is simple – work with major carriers including UPS®, Saia®, Estes®, YRC Freight™ and UPS Freight® to handle the pickup, transport and delivery of customers' shipments. All the while, franchisees work to provide customers with service and support. By leveraging the combined shipping volume of all its customers, Unishippers gets deeply discounted rates from its carriers, resulting in lower shipping costs. Unishippers serves more than 50,000 small to mid-sized businesses, and has been recognized as a top freight broker by Transport Topics and a top franchise by Entrepreneur, Franchise Times and the Inc. 5000. For information on Unishippers, including information on franchising opportunities and price quotes, visit www.unishippers.com.
About USA Cares
USA Cares is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that helps post-9/11 veterans, active military service members and their families with basic needs such as food, shelter and utilities. USA Cares operates four core programs, Combat Injured, Jobs Assistance, Emergency Assistance and Housing. USA Cares has received over 40,000 requests for help and responded with more than $10 Million in grants. Learn more at http://usacares.org/.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Stefanie Zimmerman Fishman PR, 847.945.1300 x 267 firstname.lastname@example.orgSource:Unishippers Global Logistics, LLC