SAN DIEGO, Oct. 8, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Breast cancer is the second most common type of cancer in American women, according to the National Cancer Institute. With October recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Healthyroads urges both women and men to recognize breast cancer's warning signs and take steps to lower your risk.
While breast cancer warning signs vary by person, some include:
- New lump in the breast or underarm
- Thickening or swelling of part of the breast
- Irritation or dimpling of breast skin
- Any change in the size or the shape of the breast
- Pain in any area of the breast
Some risk factors for cancer cannot be avoided, but you can help lower your risk for breast cancer by following these simple steps:
- Get screened regularly. This makes it more likely that you'll find cancer early.
- Maintain a healthy weight and exercise. Find ways to work exercise into your day—take the stairs, garden, take a walk.
- Be aware of your body and know the warning signs. Check your body regularly for any changes.
- Drink alcohol in moderation or, better yet, avoid it. Alcohol increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Know your family history. If you have a close family member who has had breast cancer, talk with your physician about what you can do to lower your risk.
Healthyroads urges everyone to remember the signs of breast cancer, stay vigilant about checkups and maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.
About Healthyroads, Inc.
Healthyroads, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH), offers a wide range of population health solutions, including: the award-winning Healthyroads® telephone-based lifestyle and health coaching programs, member engagement promotion programs, program management, health risk assessments, biometric screenings, claims analytics, risk stratification, outreach, incentive management programs, competitive group challenges, worksite wellness programs and/or an integrated online wellness portal, Healthyroads.com. Healthyroads offers these programs to more than 5 million members nationally. For more information about the Healthyroads programs, visit ASHCompanies.com or call (800) 848-3555. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Healthyroads, YouTube at www.youtube.com/healthyroads, Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/healthyroads, Twitter at @Healthyroads and Instagram at @Healthyroads.
About American Specialty Health
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is one of the nation's premier independent, privately-owned specialty health services organizations, providing specialty health care networks and programs, fitness and exercise programs, and population health solutions for health plans, insurance carriers and employer groups. Operating from offices in San Diego, CA, Southlake (Dallas), TX, Carmel (Indianapolis), IN and Columbia, SC, ASH has more than 1,100 employees and administers services for more than 34 million members nationwide. Products offered through ASH and its subsidiaries include Healthyroads®, FitnessCoachTM, Active&Fit®, ExerciseRewardsTM and others. For more information about ASH, visit www.ASHCompanies.com or call 800-848-3555. Follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter at @ASHCompanies.
CONTACT: Lisa Freeman Healthyroads 310-390-3070 firstname.lastname@example.org
Source:American Specialty Health