HOUSTON, Oct. 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Burleson LLP announced that on Oct. 29, 2013, the firm will offer a complimentary half-day seminar, breakfast and lunch included, focusing on emerging issues in energy litigation.
The event will highlight current areas of risk litigation that energy companies face today, and offer practical, actionable strategies for minimizing that risk.
Six members of Burleson's Texas-based energy litigation group will be featured at the seminar:
- Pat Long Weaver, Burleson's Midland managing partner, who has extensive experience in oil and gas law, including litigation and environmental issues;
- Houston partner Randy Burton, who has practiced commercial litigation for 25 years with a focus on the oil and gas industry;
- Partner David Bond of the Houston office, whose 30 years of experience covers the full spectrum of commercial and business litigation, particularly in the securities/antitrust areas;
- Tom Ciarlone, senior counsel from Burleson's San Antonio office, who concentrates his practice on class actions, oil and gas litigation, and dispute resolution;
- Houston partner Bob Ballentine, who has more than 25 years of experience as a litigator and focuses on high-risk energy disputes; and
- Andrea "AJ" Johnson, who is a partner in Houston with three decades of experience and is a Texas Super Lawyer in employment law.
Offered at the Lakeside Country Club in Houston, the event will be held from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
"The energy industry today faces multiple litigation risks on several fronts; the issues span diverse operational concerns – from responding to catastrophic accidents to trade secret assurance to employment practices and wage concerns to high stakes business-critical issues," said Johnson, who is co-chair of the firm's Texas energy litigation group. "We want to put a spotlight on those issues, and then discuss the kinds of real-world approaches and solutions that are vital to ensuring maximum operational, financial, and regulatory performance."
Topics that will be covered in the networking seminar include:
- Rapid response investigations: Being prepared if a catastrophic accident occurs and governmental agents appear.
- Trade secrets: How the newly adopted Uniform Trade Secrets Act affects commercial transactions in Texas.
- Antitrust: Analysis of antitrust law and its surprising effect in the oil patch.
- Class actions in Texas: Special – and potentially expensive – class action issues affecting the Texas energy industry.
- Up-to-the-minute litigation developments: A review of noteworthy court decisions and a look at what the future holds, particularly for energy companies.
- Solving the overtime puzzle: A review of critical overtime computation issues in the energy industry, offering approaches for certainty in the often confusing wage-and-hour area.
Those interested in attending can sign up at HoustonEvents@Burlesonllp.com.
About Burleson LLP
Burleson LLP is the largest full-service law firm in the country devoted primarily to the oil and gas industry. Burleson is unique in being on the ground in every key North American market, serving both traditional production and unconventional shale plays as well as the Permian Basin, and offers a distinct blend of legal understanding and technical skill. The firm's attorneys have worked as petroleum engineers, chemists, landmen, and geologists, and more than a third have served as inside legal counsel for oil and gas companies. These qualifications – combined with Burleson's broad geographic reach and comprehensive scope of services – have earned the firm a reputation for providing clients with the most seasoned, energy-specific team in the legal profession. For further information, visit www.burlesonllp.com.
CONTACT: Shari King at (713) 869-4939 or firstname.lastname@example.org