SAN DIEGO, Oct. 16, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- During Halloween's candy-focused season, it may seem impossible to keep your family healthy. But, with a few tricks of your own, you can limit sweet treats without limiting the fun.
Healthyroads – the award-winning wellness subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated – offers five tips to help families stay healthier during Halloween:
- Give out a different kind of treat. Instead of candy, why not give out Halloween-themed toys, stickers, stick-on tattoos, erasers, finger puppets or glow sticks? Many stores offer low-cost Halloween favors that will please your trick-or-treaters in a fun and sugar-free way.
- Reduce container size. Instead of sending kids out with a pillowcase to collect candy, give them small, decorated bags instead. They'll fill their bags sooner and come home with fewer temptations.
- Portion the candy. With so many candy choices, children may be tempted to splurge the first night. Set a limit on how many pieces they may eat each day. Freeze some of the treats: This helps with portions and also helps extend the Halloween fun!
- Choose favorites. Ask children to choose their favorite candies, then pay them a penny for each treat they are willing to give up. Donate those treats or save them in the freezer for a rainy day.
- Throw a healthy Halloween party. Instead of sending your children trick-or-treating, host a party instead. That way, you can choose the treats they'll get. Serve apple cider, popcorn balls, frozen fruit bars, raisins or granola bars instead of candy. Play fun games to keep kids active.
By offering your children healthier Halloween choices, you're teaching them to make healthier choices every day. And that's a great trick!
About Healthyroads, Inc.
Healthyroads, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH), offers a wide range of population health solutions, including: the award-winning Healthyroads® telephone-based lifestyle and health coaching programs, member engagement promotion programs, program management, health risk assessments, biometric screenings, claims analytics, risk stratification, outreach, incentive management programs, competitive group challenges, worksite wellness programs and/or an integrated online wellness portal, Healthyroads.com. Healthyroads offers these programs to more than five million members nationally. For more information, visit ASHCompanies.com or call (800) 848-3555. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Healthyroads, YouTube at www.youtube.com/healthyroads, Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/healthyroads, Twitter at @Healthyroads and Instagram at @Healthyroads.
About American Specialty Health
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is one of the nation's premier independent, privately-owned specialty health services organizations, providing specialty health care networks and programs, fitness and exercise programs, and population health solutions for health plans, insurance carriers and employer groups. Operating from offices in San Diego, CA, Southlake (Dallas), TX, Carmel (Indianapolis), IN and Columbia, SC, ASH has more than 1,100 employees and administers services for more than 34 million members nationwide. Products offered through ASH and its subsidiaries include Silver&Fit®, FitnessCoachTM, Active&Fit®, ExerciseRewardsTM and others. For more information about ASH, visit www.ASHCompanies.comor call 800-848-3555. Follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter at @ASHCompanies.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Lisa Freeman 310-390-3070 Cell: 310-422-9200 email@example.com
Source:American Specialty Health