SAN DIEGO, Nov. 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Chances are that you or someone close to you has diabetes. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one in nine U.S. adults has diabetes.
November is American Diabetes Month® and Healthyroads urges everyone to be aware of diabetes' warning signs and take steps to prevent type 2 diabetes.
While symptoms vary by person, some common signs of diabetes include:
- Urinating often
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive hunger
- Unusual tiredness
- Blurry vision
If you have these symptoms, go to your doctor and get your blood sugar tested.
If you have a family history of type 2 diabetes or have prediabetes, here are three tips to help you prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes:
- Get moving. Get physically active for at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week. For motivation, ask a friend to join you.
- Lose weight. If you're overweight, losing five to seven percent of your body weight can help reduce your risk. For example, if you weigh 200 pounds, five percent of your body weight is 10 pounds (200 pounds X .05 = 10 pounds). Talk to your doctor or a health coach about strategies to lose weight.
- Eat and drink healthy. Choose water over sugary drinks, and eat smaller portions. Switch from a dinner plate to a small plate. Use your hand to estimate portions:
- A closed fist is a serving of carbohydrates
- An open palm of the hand (not including fingers) is a serving of meat
- A cupped hand is a serving of vegetables
- The end of the thumb is a serving of cheese
For more tips about diabetes prevention, visit Healthyroads' Pinterest board.
About Healthyroads, Inc.
Healthyroads, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH), offers a range of population health solutions, including: the award-winning Healthyroads® telephone-based lifestyle and health coaching programs, member engagement promotion programs, program management, health risk assessments, biometric screenings, claims analytics, incentive management programs, competitive group challenges, worksite wellness programs and/or an integrated online wellness portal, Healthyroads.com. For information, visit ASHCompanies.com or call 800-848-3555. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Healthyroads, YouTube at www.youtube.com/healthyroads, Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/healthyroads, Twitter at @Healthyroads and Instagram at @Healthyroads.
About American Specialty Health
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is one of the nation's premier independent, privately-owned specialty health services organizations, providing specialty health care networks and programs, fitness and exercise programs, and population health solutions for health plans, insurance carriers and employer groups. Operating from offices in San Diego, Calif., Southlake (Dallas), Texas, Carmel (Indianapolis), Ind., and Columbia, S.C., ASH has more than 1,100 employees and administers services for more than 34 million members nationwide. Other products offered through ASH and its subsidiaries include Silver&Fit®, FitnessCoachTM, Active&Fit®, ExerciseRewardsTM and others. For more information about ASH, visit www.ashcompanies.com or call 800-848-3555. Follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter at @ASHCompanies.
CONTACT: Lisa Freeman Healthyroads Office: 800-848-3555, ext. 3722 Cell: 310-422-9200 email@example.com
Source:American Specialty Health