SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 7, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- California, New York and Florida topped the list of states with the most internship opportunities according to a report released today by InternMatch, the leading platform to find amazing internships. While California and New York were also in the top three states for students searching for an opportunity, Texas came in third. This demonstrates the potential disparities between the location of opportunities and talent.
"Over 50 percent of students are either unemployed or underemployed," said Nathan Parcells, co-founder and CMO of InternMatch. "As we examined the top states, we noticed that the location of the internships and where students were looking varied quite a bit. This search friction is a huge problem in the internship market with many students unaware of where to search and often unable to move to new cities or accept unpaid roles."
As debate continues about paid versus unpaid internships, InternMatch found that about a third of internships were unpaid, a number that is still too large. "We believe that it's important that interns are treated as any other employee would be. With one in three interns unpaid, there is a lot of room for improvement," continued Parcells.
Another interesting trend, the survey found that approximately 70 percent of those looking for an internship were female while only 30 percent were male.
- Size doesn't matter. Students looking for internships were evenly divided across private colleges (36 percent), public universities under 15,000 students (30 percent) and large public colleges and universities (29 percent.)
- Eighty-two percent of students had a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and 80 percent of those looking for internships were under the age of 25.
- Having trouble finding an internship? Consider a different location. For example, Massachusetts was number 5 on the list of opportunities yet was number 18 on the list of where students were looking. Even in the top 10, there were noticeable differences in ranking:
- Top 10 States to find an internship: California, New York, Texas, Illinois, Massachusetts, Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington and Georgia.
- Top 10 states with the most talent: California, New York, Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Georgia, New Jersey, Maine and Ohio.
The report reflects data from the third quarter of 2013 including demographic information collected by InternMatch. Additionally, a survey was sent to registered users with the results reflected in this report.
To learn more about InternMatch, please visit www.internmatch.com.
InternMatch is the largest online platform that connects top-tier talent with internships at amazing companies. Employers can utilize Campus Hubs and other branding efforts to show off company culture, attract the right interns, and promote diversity. Students using the site can take advantage of resume creation tools and tailored searches to find the right internship for their needs. Companies both big and small use InternMatch to find great students every day, including Google, Nestle Purina, and Viacom. For more information, visit http://www.internmatch.com.
A photo accompanying this release is available at: http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=22099
CONTACT: Stephanie Schlegel M: (415) 746-9612 E: email@example.com