MINNEAPOLIS, Nov. 20, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Minneapolis office of KPMG LLP, the U.S. audit, tax and advisory firm, has received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification for its new office design and construction from the U.S. Green Building Council.
The LEED Green Building Rating System for Commercial Interiors (CI) is a set of performance standards for certifying a building's design and construction in order to promote healthy, durable, affordable and environmentally sound practices in tenant space design and construction.
"We are proud to achieve this important goal and to be a part of the Minneapolis business community's commitment to making Minnesota a greener and more sustainable place to work and live," said George Kehl, KPMG Minneapolis office managing partner. "LEED offices continue to help the firm drive down its overall footprint with significant reductions in both water and energy realized with these environmentally-friendly office designs."
KPMG's Minneapolis office was renovated in 2012, with the goal of improving environmental efficiency and achieving LEED Gold-CI status. KPMG's office floors were built according to a comprehensive plan that achieved significant milestones to obtain LEED Gold certification and included the following:
- More than 80 percent of construction waste was diverted from landfill disposal.
- 98 percent of the new and used equipment and appliances used for the project were ENERGY STAR rated.
- Low flow water fixtures were installed throughout the office, which use 35 percent less water than standard fixtures and are estimated to save 115,000 gallons of water annually.
- Energy-efficient light fixtures were installed, which will reduce energy consumption for lighting by 33 percent compared to similar office space with typical lighting.
- 23 percent of the building products, furniture and furnishings used in the design incorporate recycled content materials.
- Recycling units are available in all service areas, pantries, conference areas, offices, workstations and cafés.
About KPMG LLP
KPMG LLP, the audit, tax and advisory firm (www.kpmg.com/us), is the U.S. member firm of KPMG International Cooperative ("KPMG International"). KPMG International's member firms have 152,000 professionals, including more than 8,600 partners, in 156 countries.
CONTACT: Barbara Ketcham-Mednick KPMG LLP (612) 305-5471 firstname.lastname@example.orgSource:KPMG LLP