LOS ANGELES, Dec. 3, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- City National Bank is partnering once again with Barnes & Noble this holiday season for a multi-state book drive that will celebrate the joy of reading and benefit area schools in California, Nevada, New York, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia. This is the 6th consecutive year that City National and Barnes & Noble have partnered in its holiday book drive.
This holiday program is part of the world's largest bookseller's annual Holiday Book Drive, which runs from November 1 through January 1. To participate in the book drive, holiday shoppers can purchase a book at select Barnes & Noble stores and donate it as part of this holiday program. People can also drop off a new book to any City National branch as well as go online at www.readingisthewayup.org and donate money for the purchase of new books.
City National's Reading is The way up® literacy program will match each book donated between December 1 and January 1, up to $75,000 and the books will be distributed to area schools in the bank's footprint early next year.
"Partnering with Barnes & Noble during this special time of year is a real treat for City National and our literacy holiday book drive," said Carolyn Rodriguez, vice president and program administrator for City National Bank. "Literacy and providing children with greater access to books through this wonderful program is one of the best gifts we can give to the communities we serve."
Sixteen Barnes & Noble book stores in California, Nevada, New York, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia, are participating in this year's holiday book drive. The stores include:
- Barnes & Noble, Los Angeles (189 The Grove Drive)
- Barnes & Noble, Long Beach (7651 Carson Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Escondido (810 West Valley Parkway)
- Barnes & Noble, Corte Madera (313 Town Center)
- Barnes & Noble, Del Mar (12835 El Camino Real)
- Barnes & Noble, Mira Mesa (10775 Westview Parkway)
- Barnes & Noble, Newport Beach (401 Newport Center Drive, #A215)
- Barnes & Noble, Point Loma (Bookstar, 3150 Rosecrans Place)
- Barnes & Noble, Riverside (3485 Tyler Street)
- Barnes & Noble, San Jose (2200 Eastridge Loop)
- Barnes & Noble, Walnut Creek (1149 South Main Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Reno (5555 S. Virginia Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Las Vegas (8915 West Charleston Blvd.)
- Barnes & Noble, Las Vegas (2191 N. Rainbow Blvd.)
- Barnes & Noble, New York City (160 East 54th Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Brentwood (1701 Mallory Lane)
About City National
City National Bank is the wholly owned subsidiary of City National Corporation (NYSE:CYN). It is backed by $29.1 billion in total assets, and provides banking, investment and trust services through 77 offices, including 16 full-service regional centers, in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, Nevada, New York City, Nashville and Atlanta. The company and its investment affiliates manage or administer $61.5 billion in client investment assets, including $42.8 billion under direct management.
For more information about City National, visit the company's Website at cnb.com.
About Reading is The way up®
Originally established to help improve the education of California's future leaders, City National in April 2002 launched the multi-faceted Reading is The way up initiative to restock the state's school library system. The program has since been expanded to include all areas where the bank has a presence.
To date, the bank has:
- Donated more than 170,000 books to California, Nevada, New York, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia school libraries.
- Awarded over $600,000 to teachers in elementary, middle and high schools for creative literacy projects.
- Received the 2005 President's Volunteer Service Award, the 2005 Corporate Philanthropy Award from the Los Angeles Public Library, the 2006 Corporate Award from the Getty House Foundation, and honored as the 2007 Corporate Visionary Partner by The Wonder of Reading, and the Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership Corporate Citizen Award.
- Recognized by the Los Angeles City Council in June 2009 for efforts to promote literacy in the city of Los Angeles.
- Received the 2013 Above and Beyond Award for Excellence in Community Service presented by the Angel Light Academy's Leadership Training Institute.
- Received the 2013 Innovations Reading Prize Award presented by the National Book Foundation.
The bank also has created the Reading is The way up Fund, a 501(c)(3) administered by the California Community Foundation, as a funding resource to purchase books for school libraries in California. For more information, visit www.readingisthewayup.org or facebook.com/readingisthewayup.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Paul C. Stowell, City National Bank, 213.673.7602 Paul.email@example.com
Source:City National Bank