SAN DIEGO, Dec. 16, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 'Tis the season for family, festivities…and fattening foods! But you don't have to let those temptations weigh you down. You can be part of the fun without adding on pounds by following these tips from Healthyroads, Inc.:
When you're going to a party:
- Snack first. Eat a healthy snack before you leave home. You'll be less likely to eat too much at the party.
- Practice portion control. Don't cut out the foods you love completely. Just eat smaller portions.
- Go easy on the alcohol. Alcohol is full of empty calories. Limit how much you drink. Or choose a different drink, such as sparkling water with lemon.
- Bring a healthy dish. Veggie plates and fruit salad are great options and additions for the buffet table.
When you're throwing a party:
- Forget frying. Grill, bake or broil meats, vegetables and other foods instead of frying them.
- Cook healthy. Use nonfat or low-fat milk when you cook and reduce the fats. Try using applesauce instead of butter to bake cookies.
- Offer choices. When it comes to drinks, give your guests healthier choices, such as juice, water and tea.
- Get active. Make games and activities the center of your party instead of food.
By planning ahead, you can make sure that your holidays are full of fun instead of fattening foods. For more healthy holiday tips, visit our Healthyroads Pinterest board.
About Healthyroads, Inc.
Healthyroads, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH), offers a wide range of population health solutions, including: the award-winning Healthyroads® telephone-based lifestyle and health coaching programs, member engagement promotion programs, program management, health risk assessments, biometric screenings, claims analytics, risk stratification, outreach, incentive management programs, competitive group challenges, worksite wellness programs and/or an integrated online wellness portal, Healthyroads.com. Healthyroads offers these programs to more than 5 million members nationally. For more information about the Healthyroads programs, visit ASHCompanies.com or call 800-848-3555. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Healthyroads, YouTube at www.youtube.com/healthyroads, Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/healthyroads, Twitter at @Healthyroads and Instagram at @Healthyroads.
About American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH)
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is one of the nation's premier independent, privately-owned specialty health services organizations, providing specialty health care networks and programs, fitness and exercise programs, and population health solutions for health plans, insurance carriers and employer groups. Operating from offices in San Diego, Calif., Southlake (Dallas), Texas, Carmel (Indianapolis), Ind., and Columbia, S.C., ASH has more than 1,100 employees and administers services for nearly 34 million members nationwide. Products offered through ASH and its subsidiaries include Healthyroads®, Silver&Fit®, FitnessCoachTM, Active&Fit®, ExerciseRewardsTM and others. For more information about ASH, visit www.ASHCompanies.com or call 800-848-3555. Follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter at @ASHCompanies.
Source:American Specialty Health