SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 12, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- VMware PARTNER EXCHANGE – LSI Corporation (Nasdaq:LSI) today announced it has collaborated with EMC, Mellanox and Supermicro to offer a high-performance virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) appliance for VMware Horizon View™ deployments.
The appliance combines storage, compute and networking hardware in a single box to deliver a scalable hyper-converged system to meet the growing customer demand for desktop virtualization. The solution is designed to provide customers starting out with a few servers and a few hundred desktops with the ability to simply and efficiently scale-out VDI environments to meet changing business requirements.
The joint solution features LSI Nytro™ 3.2TB PCIe® flash accelerator cards, Mellanox's end-to-end 40GbE interconnect solution, and Supermicro servers powered by EMC ScaleIO software. Together, they create an affordable hyper-converged appliance that allows for simple linear expansion of both capacity and performance. The appliance is designed to accelerate VDI deployments, increase desktop performance and maximize VDI density per node at a fraction of the cost and complexity associated with traditional SAN-based storage infrastructures.
To demonstrate the benefits of the solution, the widely accepted Login VSI benchmark was used to create the actual workload of simulated users. Internal test results showed key customer benefits, including:
- Ultrabook-like user experience – support for 1,000 desktops with average user response times of < 1 second
- Rapid desktop provisioning – deployment of 1,000 virtual desktops in 1 hour, 28 minutes
- High performance – simultaneously boots 1,000 virtual desktops in 12 minutes
- Linear scalability and easy sizing – supports up to 167 desktops per server node
- Affordable flash solution – price per desktop of an entry-level business PC
- Reduced TCO – low-cost project implementation and efficient management and maintenance
"VDI is a demanding environment for storage, and LSI Nytro flash cards are the perfect answer," said Jas Tremblay, vice president of marketing, Datacenter Solutions Group, LSI. "By combining these leading products, we are able to achieve a record-setting performance solution for VDI implementations. We're excited to be working closely with industry leaders EMC, Mellanox and Supermicro to bring this solution to market."
- "There is an increasing demand from customers for a new model to manage and scale a combined architecture of compute and storage that is driven by the need for extreme scale and simplified operations," said Boaz Palgi, vice president and general manager of the Advanced Software Division at EMC. "EMC ScaleIO delivers a powerful software-only solution that uses application hosts' local disks to deliver a solution for virtual SAN that is engineered to scale to hundreds and thousands of nodes. We are pleased to be part of LSI's new high-performance appliance that delivers customers the elasticity and simplicity they are looking for in their VDI environments."
- "Supermicro WIO server building blocks offer flexibility and rich feature sets for developing scale-out systems such as the VDI solutions optimized for EMC ScaleIO," said Don Clegg, vice president of marketing and business development at Supermicro. "Working closely with EMC ScaleIO, VMware and LSI, we've custom tailored industry-leading, high-performance and energy-efficient VDI platforms that maximize user density within a minimized footprint and deliver extreme scalability, easy manageability and an uncompromising user experience."
- "Maximizing the number of virtual desktops per server while providing real-time response to mobile users is essential to build an efficient VDI infrastructure that meets enterprise business needs," said Kevin Deierling, vice president of marketing at Mellanox Technologies. "Using Mellanox's end-to-end 40GbE interconnect solution helps to eliminate the I/O bottlenecks that can hamper traditional VDI deployments, allowing organizations to achieve their business processes at a lower total cost of ownership."
- "We are proud to have a diverse set of ecosystem partners such as EMC, LSI and Supermicro, who continue to innovate with VMware solutions, including VMware Horizon View™," said Sanjay Katyal, vice president, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware.
LSI and Supermicro are demonstrating the hyper-converged VDI appliance in booth #421 at VMware Partner Exchange 2014 taking place this week at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco.
The VDI appliance is immediately available from Supermicro and its worldwide network of channel partners. More information on LSI flash storage solutions is available at http://go.lsi.com/acceleration.
LSI Corporation (Nasdaq:LSI) designs semiconductors and software that accelerate storage and networking in datacenters, mobile networks and client computing. Our technology is the intelligence critical to enhanced application performance, and is applied in solutions created in collaboration with our partners. More information is available at www.lsi.com. Connect with LSI via Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
LSI, the LSI & Design logo, Storage.Networking.Accelerated. and Nytro are trademarks or registered trademarks of LSI Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
All other brand or product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
CONTACT: For more information, contact: Brian Garabedian LSI Corporation 408-433-8253 firstname.lastname@example.org