AUSTIN, Texas, Feb. 18, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- McLean, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, D.C., tops SpareFoot's new list of America's Top 15 Economic Power Towns.
To compile the list, online self-storage marketplace SpareFoot looked at all U.S. towns with 50,000 residents or fewer (based on U.S. Census bureau data) that are home to at least one Fortune 500 company. More than 120 towns fit into that category.
SpareFoot then analyzed these characteristics to rank the economic power of Fortune 500 towns:
- Home ownership rate.
- Median household income.
- Local unemployment rate.
- Percentage of residents living in poverty.
- Ratio of median home value to median income.
- Median value of owner-occupied homes.
Here is SpareFoot's list of America's Top 15 Economic Power Towns:
- McLean, Virginia (Fortune 500 companies: Freddie Mac, Capital One Financial, SAIC, Booz Allen Hamilton, Exelis, Gannett)
- Weston, Massachusetts (Fortune 500 company: Biogen Idec)
- Riverwoods, Illinois (Fortune 500 company: Discover Financial Services)
- Franklin Lakes, New Jersey (Fortune 500 company: Becton Dickinson)
- Warren, New Jersey (Fortune 500 company: Chubb)
- Armonk, New York (Fortune 500 company: IBM)
- Des Peres, Missouri (Fortune 500 company: Jones Financial)
- Westport, Connecticut (Fortune 500 company: Terex)
- Oak Brook, Illinois (Fortune 500 company: McDonald's)
- Dublin, Ohio (Fortune 500 company: Cardinal Health)
- Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania (Fortune 500 company: AmerisourceBergen)
- Deerfield, Illinois (Fortune 500 companies: Walgreens, Mondelēz International, Baxter International, CF Industries Holdings, United Stationers)
- Rye, New York (Fortune 500 company: Jarden)
- Lake Forest, Illinois (Fortune 500 companies: W.W. Grainger, Tenneco)
- Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (Fortune 500 company: Penske Automotive Group)
For complete statistics about SpareFoot's list of America's Top 15 Economic Power Towns, visit The SpareFoot Blog.
SpareFoot makes renting self-storage easy. Our free marketplace lets customers find and reserve storage units online. We have the largest inventory of storage units in the U.S., with a network of more than 7,000 facilities ranging from mom-and-pop to publicly traded REIT. We reach millions of people who need storage through exclusive partnerships with brands like SelfStorage.com, Apartments.com and Penske Truck Rental.
The Austin Business Journal named SpareFoot the Best Place to Work in the Austin area for 2013, office furniture company Turnstone named SpareFoot one of the country's Best Young Companies to Work For in 2013, and the Austin American-Statesman named SpareFoot the Top Workplace in the Austin area for 2013.
For more information, visit SpareFoot.com.
CONTACT: Media contact: John Egan, SpareFoot email@example.com 512-705-6208