BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 24, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS -- Under the banner of "Creating the Living Network," InterDigital, Inc. (Nasdaq:IDCC), a wireless research and development company, today unveiled its new technologies and initiatives for Mobile World Congress, the industry's premier conference, which is taking place in Barcelona.
The company's presence at MWC 2014 includes a number of new initiatives that cement the company's role as a technology innovator and thought leader. In terms of product and technology demonstrations:
- The company will unveil a live demo of a 3.5GHz radio featuring guaranteed Quality of Service – an industry first public demonstration, and a significant advancement in the operator feasibility of shared spectrum in line with U.S. and international initiatives to free new sources of spectrum.
- InterDigital will also demo a variety of video technologies that are designed to significantly reduce bandwidth in both streaming and real-time video.
- The company will also feature Smart Access Manager, the company's Wi-Fi management client that is in field trials with top-tier operators worldwide, as well as ground-breaking 5G research focused on millimeter wave backhaul.
- In a first, InterDigital's Innovation Partners unit will host demo areas from partners DDD Group, VTT Technical Research Centre and BIO-key International.
"Innovation is the lifeblood of InterDigital, and this year's Mobile World Congress is a tremendous opportunity for our company to show not only what we're doing with our Innovation Labs research teams, but also what the research teams that are part of our Innovation Partners effort are contributing in terms of technology," said Scott A. McQuilkin, Senior Executive Vice President, Innovation. "Most importantly, it's clear that our innovation footprint is continuing to grow, beyond core network and device operations and into exciting areas like video, security and context awareness."
InterDigital is also hosting a number of events, streaming live to the Web. In collaboration with LiveCast and Inmarsat, InterDigital will host video playback of live and pre-recorded band performances from around Barcelona, using LiveCast's end to end platform for live video broadcasting – which integrates InterDigital scaling technology for bandwidth savings – and a satellite uplink from Inmarsat.
Again using LiveCast technology, InterDigital invites researchers, analysts, partners and investors to join the company's representatives for additional events:
- On Tuesday, February 25 at 3PM CET (9AM Eastern), InterDigital and the Telecommunications Industry Association will kick off InterDigital's Creating the Living Network discussion series by streaming a live panel on Wi-Fi management. Hosted by TIA NOW's Abe Nejad, the panel will feature thought leaders from some of the industry's leading vendors as well as Berge Ayvazian, a senior consultant with Heavy Reading, one of the telecom industry's leading analysis publications.
- On Wednesday, February 26 at 3PM CET (9AM Eastern), InterDigital will stream live demos from the booth. To view the demos, visit the company's website at www.interdigital.com for more information and details on accessing the stream.
"InterDigital's role in the mobile industry is, and always has been, to innovate and to be a thought leader for the future, and Mobile World Congress is a tremendous opportunity to show that once again. In addition, our demos for both video technology and Smart Access Manager this year show that InterDigital's research is being successfully integrated into market-ready products," said William J. Merritt, President and CEO. "Beyond that, by placing our demo for 2014 under the theme of Creating the Living Network, our company is bringing all our research and collaboration under a clear vision: a future of smart, self-optimizing networks, that connect a broad variety of devices and device types through a range of network resources, and provide the connectivity and data that enable services that will change the way our world works and the way we live."
If you're in Barcelona, please feel free to visit InterDigital's pavilion in Hall 7 Stand 7A71. Those accessing the live streams can go to www.interdigital.com for a link and to www.tianow.org for the full video broadcast of the Wi-Fi panel, which will be available Wednesday, March 5.
InterDigital develops technologies that are at the core of mobile devices, networks, and services worldwide. We solve many of the industry's most critical and complex technical challenges, inventing solutions for more efficient broadband networks and a richer multimedia experience years ahead of market deployment. InterDigital has licenses and strategic relationships with many of the world's leading wireless companies. Founded in 1972, InterDigital is listed on NASDAQ and is included in the S&P MidCap 400® index.
InterDigital is a registered trademark of InterDigital, Inc.
For more information, visit: www.interdigital.com.
CONTACT: Patrick Van de Wille Email: firstname.lastname@example.org +1 (858) 210-4814