Vision-Sciences' EndoSheath® Technology Offers a Solution
ORANGEBURG, N.Y., April 3, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- A recent peer reviewed article published March 19, 2014 in The BMJ* by Steve Brozak and Anne Marie Noronha again establishes a case for an alternative to the conventional endoscope cleaning process and reviews why conventional cleaning puts patients at risk of infection. The publication, "A 21st century nosocomial issue with endoscopes," identifies the sterile, disposable EndoSheath® Technology from Vision-Sciences as a safe, cost-effective alternative to conventional flexible endoscopes.
Key points stated in the BMJ article:
- Reprocessing conventional flexible endoscopes is "time consuming, labor intensive, expensive and, most importantly, susceptible to failure."
- Due to "limited surveillance, limited reporting, and lack of immediate clinical symptoms of patients," experts agree that cross-contamination is significantly under-reported.
- Infections "resulting from scope contamination breaks the trust between patients and doctors and places a financial burden on healthcare institutions."
- Research shows that using EndoSheath Technology and its simplified cleaning and disinfection procedure offers "a vast improvement over current decontamination procedures."
- EndoSheath Technology eliminates "unreliable and cumbersome reprocessing" of conventional endoscopes by condensing the protocol into just a few steps, and "reduces reprocessing time by up to 31 minutes."
- Due to its design, EndoSheath Technology is "more cost effective, reduces repair costs, and decreases investment in multiple scopes that are out of operation while being cleaned."
On a recent interview on "Taking Stock with Pimm Fox," Cheryl Pegus, M.D., the lead independent director of the Board of Directors of Vision-Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:VSCI), says, "It's really about how do we prevent infections and Vision-Sciences technology is frankly at the right place at the right time, because we can prevent infections in endoscopy."
See Dr. Pegus on "Taking Stock with Pimm Fox:"
Vision-Sciences' patented and FDA-cleared EndoSheath Technology is the only flexible endoscopic technology on the market with a preventative solution to spreading infection. In 20 years and with over 5 million procedures performed with EndoSheath Technology, Vision-Sciences has never received a report of patient-to-patient cross-contamination.
Dr. Cheryl Pegus is available for in-person meetings or phone interviews. Please contact Keith Darragh at (845) 848-1085 for more information and to set-up an interview or a segment on your show.
About Vision-Sciences, Inc.
Vision-Sciences, Inc. designs, develops, manufactures and markets products for flexible endoscopy. The Company's unique product lines feature a streamlined visualization system and proprietary sterile disposable microbial barrier, known as EndoSheath® technology, providing users with efficient and cost effective endoscope turnover while enhancing patient safety. Information about Vision-Sciences' products is available at www.visionsciences.com.
Vision-Sciences owns the trademark Vision Sciences™ and the registered trademarks EndoSheath®, EndoWipe®, Slide-On®, and The Vision System®.
* The BMJ (formerly British Medical Journal): "A 21st century nosocomial issue with endoscopes" (Subscriber access only: http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g2047 | Full text (free version): http://www.wbbsec.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BMJ-endoscope-infections-OPED.pdf)
CONTACT: Keith J. C. Darragh VP, Finance Vision-Sciences, Inc. (845) 365-0600 email@example.com