Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei's consumer business, said Huawei's own operating system for smartphones and laptops could be ready for use in China by fall this year.Technologyread more
After holding parliamentary elections over seven phases, India started counting the votes on Thursday — and Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party-led coalition...Electionsread more
Among the many ways Trump has shattered White House norms, his impulsive public communications rank among the most consequential. By inspiring investors or spooking them, his...Politicsread more
A federal judge in New York City on Wednesday said Deutsche Bank and Capital One can turn over financial documents related to President Donald Trump and his businesses in...Politicsread more
China accounted for 40% to 60% of the global increase in trichlorofluoromethane, or CFC-11, emissions between 2014 and 2017, a study found.Scienceread more
CNEX, backed by Microsoft and Dell, filed new allegations in a Texas suit accusing China's Huawei and an executive of trade secrets theft.Technologyread more
With Amazon and Walmart facing regulatory hurdles in India, Reliance's Mukesh Ambani isTechnologyread more
Tech usage and addiction inspires a billion-dollar mindfulness industry. CNBC's Uptin Saiidi attempts three days without any digital gadgets.Technologyread more
Japan's Panasonic said on Thursday it has stopped shipments of certain components to Huawei Technologies to comply with U.S. restrictions on the Chinese company.Technologyread more
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told CNBC on Wednesday that a trip to Beijing to resume trade negotiations has not been scheduled yet, reducing hopes of a speedy resolution...Asia Marketsread more
Research analyst Adam Jonas, a long-time Tesla bull, said it's extremely unlikely that big tech firms like Apple or Amazon would buy it.Technologyread more
The sharp stock market decline last week—fueled by the bloodbath in momentum names—doesn't look like it will continue this week, Jonathan Golub, chief U.S. market strategist at RBC Capital, told CNBC. And better-than-expected earnings and revenues from Citigroup are giving stocks a boost Monday.
"When interest rates go up it's good for banks," Golub said on "Squawk Box " Monday. Let Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen raise rates, and let the banks get healthy. "It'll be good for the economy," he added.
"I think the selloff is probably over," Golub said. "If you look at the economically sensitive stuff in the market, it's not really selling off. It's tech. It's bio-tech," which makes up about 10 percent of the market. "The other 85 to 90 percent is in perfectly fine shape," he added.
On the last day of trading during this holiday-shortened week Thursday, results are expected from DuPont, General Electric,Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, BlackRock, PepsiCo, UnitedHealth, and Chipotle Mexican Grill.
But with Ukraine tensions flaring-up again Monday, investors are getting another reason to worry, after disappointing earnings Friday from JPMorgan sent stocks sharply lower.
For the week, the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 2.4 percent, while the S&P 500 lost 2.7 percent. The Nasdaq's losses of 1.3 percent last week were not as severe, but the technology-heavy index closed Friday under the 4,000 level.
"What do you have you going on in the world? Nothing good," Drew Matus, senior U.S. economist at UBS, told CNBC. "It's going to effect 'A' the equity market, and then 'B' it's going to get everyone who's risk-averse moving into the 10-year [Treasury]."
As for the economy, "you're going to accelerate into the second half of the year. The second half of the year is going to be very healthy," Matus said.
"By the time you get to the second half of the year, you're getting close enough to the idea of [Fed] rate hikes that people who are sitting on the sidelines—CEOs who are saying, 'Should I make the investment now or should I wait?'—the clock is running. They are going to begin to invest."
But Golub was less optimistic about the economy. "For the last 5 years, the back-half of the year, everyone said it was going to be better, and it never materialized." He expects the economy to eventually come in softer than the 3 percent expectations.
—By CNBC's Matthew J. Belvedere