SAN DIEGO, April 21, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Building on its market leadership in the global Channel Stacking Switch (CSS) industry with over 100-million CSS chips deployed worldwide, Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, today announced its latest digital Channel Stacking Switch (dCSS) and Band Translation integrated circuit (IC) family, the EN5500-series.
The EN5500-series is comprised of three configurations supporting Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) operator configurations worldwide:
- EN5500, a six-input (250 – 2350 MHz), one-output, CSS-only IC;
- EN5510, a seven-input (250 – 2350 MHz), three-output, CSS and dual-band/triple-band translation IC; and
- EN5520, a four-input (250 – 2350 MHz), two-output, CSS and legacy IC.
Entropic's use of advanced mixed-signal technology, including state-of-the-art multi GS/s broadband ADCs, DACs, and PLLs, coupled with efficient multirate DSP architectures for digital channelization and stacking, has enabled the Company to develop a family of highly-integrated dCSS solutions, with the world's lowest power, most cost-optimized and smallest form factor when compared to competitive ODU products.
Entropic's EN5500-series offers the following benefits:
- Lowest Power ODU IC: Entropic's second-generation dCSS solutions offer breakthrough low power dissipation at approximately one-half the power of current competitive offerings and one-fourth the power of previous dCSS Gen1 solutions. Consequently, the EN5500-series can be directly powered from set-top boxes eliminating the need for costly external power inserters.
- A Cost-Optimized System Approach: The highly-integrated solutions provide the industry's smallest easy-to-assemble QFN packages with integrated microcontroller, FSK, DiSEqC, SPI and I2C support, which minimize the external Bill of Materials (BoM) to enable cost-effective ODU implementations by OEMs.
- Leading-Edge Performance: The EN5500 product family delivers best-in-class Modulated Error Ratio (MER) performance under all scenarios. Proprietary mixed-signal calibration algorithms, crosstalk and spur mitigation techniques ensure reliable performance over a broad range of operating conditions, and as a result, provides immunity to process, voltage and temperature variance.
- Enhanced User Bands: The EN5500-series supports 24 user bands in response to tier-one DBS operators' requirements to support more tuner/demodulators as they migrate to gateway/client architectures. Additionally, operators can rapidly deploy single-wire hospitality and multi-dwelling unit (MDU) implementations that have high tuner count installation requirements.
"The introduction of Entropic's EN5500-series dCSS product line underscores our commitment and investment in the global DBS market. As the market leader of single-wire DBS technology, with more than 100-million CSS chips deployed worldwide, no other company can claim to have implemented or understand the challenges associated with deploying operator-class single-wire applications like Entropic," said Matt Rhodes, senior vice president, Global Marketing, Entropic. "We believe with our superior execution, low power and low cost, the EN5500-series is a single-wire ODU game-changer, enabling operators to achieve long-term reliability and cost savings."
Entropic is currently sampling the EN5500, EN5510 and EN5520.
For more information on Entropic's EN5500-series, visit Entropic's website.
Entropic™ (Nasdaq:ENTR) is a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home. The Company transforms how traditional HDTV broadcast and IP-based streaming video content is seamlessly, reliably, and securely delivered, processed, and distributed into and throughout the home. Entropic's next-generation Set-top Box (STB) System-on-a-Chip (SoC) and Connectivity solutions enable Pay-TV operators to offer consumers more captivating whole-home entertainment experiences by transforming the way digital entertainment is delivered, connected and consumed – in the home and on the go. For more information, please visit Entropic at: www.entropic.com, read our blog Entropic Topics, or get social with us at @Entropic_News, or on Facebook, Google+, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Entropic logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=4255
Forward Looking Statements
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding Entropic's dCSS technology, its related prospects and its role in the future of connected home entertainment. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause Entropic's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to, competition, risks associated with Entropic dependence on a limited number of customers and suppliers, technology risks, the risk that the market for HD video and multimedia content delivery solutions may not develop as Entropic anticipates and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of Entropic's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2013. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Entropic is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright© 2014 Entropic. All rights reserved. All other product or company names mentioned are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.