WASHINGTON, April 29, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) today announced its Blue Ribbon Commission that will focus on the board's role in recalibrating the enterprise's corporate strategy in response to market forces. Throughout the summer, more than 20 experienced corporate directors and leading governance professionals will develop guidance for boards on recognizing potential disruptors, assessing alternative approaches, and recalibrating the strategic plan. The commission's work and recommendations will ultimately result in the Report of the NACD Blue Ribbon Commission on Recalibrating Strategy to be issued later this year.
"In today's rapidly changing environment, companies are facing disruptive market forces more frequently and with more acute consequences," said Ken Daly, president and CEO of NACD. "It is essential that directors are prepared to turn these strategic inflection points into opportunities."
The NACD Blue Ribbon Commission is led by two co-chairs with extensive experience in corporate strategy: Raymond Gilmartin, former chairman, president, and CEO of Merck & Co. and current director, NACD and Maggie Wilderotter, chairman and CEO, Frontier Communications Corp. and current director, Xerox Corp., Procter & Gamble, The Committee of 200, and Catalyst.
In addition to the two co-chairs, the 2014 commissioners are experienced public company directors and leading corporate governance experts. While subject to change, the NACD Blue Ribbon Commission on Recalibrating Strategy currently includes*:
- Gerry Czarnecki: director, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., State Farm Bank, Junior Achievement Inc.
- Ken Daly: president and CEO, NACD
- The Hon. Cari M. Dominguez: director, ManpowerGroup Inc.,Triple-S Management Corp., NACD
- Nicholas Donofrio: director, Advanced Micro Devices, Delphi Automotive, Bank of New York Mellon
- Charles M. Elson: director, HealthSouth Corp.
- The Hon. Barbara Hackman Franklin: director, Aetna Inc.
- Joseph Fuller: director, PVH Corp.
- Peter Gleason: managing director and CFO, NACD
- Janet Hill: director, Carlyle Group, Dean Foods Inc., Echo360 Inc., The Wendy's Co.
- Michele J. Hooper, director: UnitedHealth Group, PPG Industries, NACD
- Reatha Clark King: chair, NACD
- Greg Lau: director, NACD
- Sara Mathew: director, Campbell Soup Co., Avon Products Inc., Freddie Mac
- Alan McIntyre: managing partner for North America, Oliver Wyman
- David Nadler: principal and co-founder, Nadler Advisory Services
- Patricia Russo: director, General Motors Co., Hewlett-Packard Co., Merck & Co., Alcoa Inc., KKR & Co.
- Brian L. Schorr: partner and chief legal officer, Trian Partners
- Steven Van Putten: managing director, Pearl Meyer & Partners
- Dennis Whalen: partner-in-charge and executive director, KPMG's Audit Committee Institute
- John Wood: vice chairman and member of CEO and Board of Directors Practice, Heidrick & Struggles
*This list may not include all directorships for each commissioner.
The commissioners met for the first time on April 25 in Washington, D.C. They will meet again in June as they continue to collaborate on their recommendations.
The report is scheduled for release in October 2014.
The National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) is the recognized authority focused on advancing exemplary board leadership and establishing leading boardroom practices. Informed by more than 35 years of experience, NACD delivers insights and resources that more than 14,000 corporate director members rely upon to make sound strategic decisions and confidently confront complex business challenges. NACD provides world-class director education programs, national peer-exchange forums, and proprietary research to promote director professionalism, ultimately enhancing the economic sustainability of the enterprise and bolstering stakeholder confidence. Fostering collaboration among directors, investors, and governance stakeholders, NACD is shaping the future of board leadership. To learn more about NACD, visit www.NACDonline.org. To become an NACD member, contact Kelly Dodd at kkdodd@NACDonline.org or 202-380-1891.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Henry Stoever Chief Marketing Officer 202-775-0509 hstoever@NACDonline.orgSource:National Association of Corporate Directors