NEW YORK, April 30, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- On Thursday, May 8th 2014, the Africa Progress Panel will release its annual Africa Progress Report - Grain, Fish, Money – Financing Africa's Green and Blue revolutions, at the World Economic Forum on Africa held in Abuja, Nigeria.
Chaired by former UN Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, last year's report Equity in Extractives – Stewarding Africa's Natural Resources for all, made headlines with its analysis of the oil, gas, and minerals industries in Africa.
This year's report will argue that Africa can and must unleash green and blue revolutions in its agriculture and fisheries. It will highlight the opportunities for Africa of the world's growing demand for food and the critical importance of agriculture and fisheries for two thirds of people in Africa engaged in these sectors. The report will also recommend related policies, including policies to scale-up Africa's infrastructure and extend its financial services. The report will also outline the urgent need to stop the plunder of Africa's timber and fisheries.
The following Panel Members and Members of the Secretariat will be attending WEF on Africa to outline findings shared in the report.
- Kofi Annan, Chair, Africa Progress Panel, and former UN Secretary-General
- Olusegun Obasanjo, Member, Africa Progress Panel, and former President of Nigeria
- Peter Eigen, Member, Africa Progress Panel, Founder of Transparency International, and Founding Chair and Special Representative of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI)
- Bob Geldof, Member, Africa Progress Panel, Musician, Businessman, Founder and Chair of Band Aid, Live Aid and live8, Co-Founder of DATA and ONE Advisor and Advocate
- Caroline Kende-Robb, Executive Director, Africa Progress Panel
- Max Bankole Jarrett, Deputy Executive Director, Africa Progress Panel
Note to editor:
- Caroline Kende-Robb and Max Bankole, based in Geneva Switzerland, will both be available for telephonic interviews from Wednesday 30 April until Friday 2 May, in build-up to WEF on Africa and the content expected to be shared during the official introduction of the 2014 report. There are limited interview slots available and email confirmation is required.
- Additional interviews with the spokespeople above can be made available during WEF and can be arranged beforehand, again there are limited slots with each panel member and media will accommodated on a first come first served basis.
- The embargoed insights release and 2014 APP report will be sent out on Wednesday 7 May 2014.
About the Africa Progress Panel
Chaired by Kofi Annan, former Secretary-General of the United Nations, the ten-member Africa Progress Panel (link) advocates at the highest levels for equitable and sustainable development in Africa. The Panel releases its flagship publication, the Africa Progress Report, every year in May.
CONTACT: For further information, please contact: C Moore Media Claudine Moore +646 489 6632 Email: Claudine@cmooremedia.com Hill+Knowlton Strategies (d) +27 11 463 2198 www.africaprogresspanel.org http://www.facebook.com/africaprogresspanel @africaprogressSource:Africa Progress Panel