PARSIPPANY, N.J., May 1, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Summer is the time of year when most Americans choose to make their household move because the kids are out of school and the weather is better suited for relocating. But those who wait until summer to plan their do-it-yourself move may find it a more stressful experience with limited rental truck availability and the many tasks to do in advance of the big day.
That's why May is National Moving Month: because it's the perfect time to plan your summer move.
"More than 35 million Americans move each year, and most will make their move over the summer," said Joe Ferraro, senior vice president of operations, North America, Avis Budget Group. "These simple moving tips from Budget Truck Rental, along with our conveniently located facilities, knowledgeable staff and full selection of moving supplies, will help you navigate each step of the process and make your move hassle-free."
- Plan your truck needs ahead of time: Before you reserve a truck, decide what size truck you need. A Budget Truck Rental representative can help you estimate what size is best, based on how many cubic feet your common household items require. Did you know that that truck availability is best mid-week (Sunday through Thursday) and mid-month? Also, don't forget to include moving equipment with your truck rental. Hand trucks and moving pads help make your move easier and protect your possessions. Budget Truck Rental locations have these available for rent.
- Plan your travel route: Did you know that trucks are prohibited on some roads? Be sure to plan the proper route ahead of time to avoid police citations for driving on roads where trucks are prohibited or getting stuck beneath an overpass. Budget Truck Rental is the first and only major consumer truck rental company to offer Global Positioning System (GPS) units that include routes designated for trucks. With Garmin® GPS navigation, Budget Truck Rental customers enjoy an array of features, including truck routes and local points of interest such as ATMs, hotels, restaurants and gas stations, a simple user interface, high-quality maps, audible turn-by-turn directions spoken in multiple languages and Bluetooth hands-free calling capability.
- Pack like a pro: Never pack dishes stacked flat; instead, pack dishes and breakables loosely with lots of cushioning material like bubble and stretch wrap. Label them "fragile" and stack these boxes on top. Mark boxes by room and general content so you know exactly where everything goes. Label them on the sides, not the tops, which may be covered by other boxes. In addition, Budget Truck Rental offers a wide variety of products to make moving easier. These include furniture pads and dollies, boxes, tape, plastic cushioning wrap and rope.
- Load the truck appropriately: Measure residential door openings for large items so you know how you will move them out, and then in. You may have to remove doors or disassemble items to get the proper clearance. Load heavy items, like appliances, onto the truck first and load them into the front of the truck (behind the cab). If you have long items that will not fit standing up or across the width of truck, load them along the length of the truck before the truck becomes too full. For more moving tips and products to make your move easier, check out the Moving Guide available at www.budgettruck.com.
- Drive safely: Take the time to adjust your mirrors. Be careful when backing up and never back up with towing equipment. Use extra caution on sharp turns. Trucks are longer and wider and need more turning area than cars. Always use the turn signal. Allow greater distance (at least five vehicle lengths) between the truck and the vehicle ahead of you. Watch for overhead clearances. Allow for at least 14 feet of overhead clearance. Beware of low canopies, overpasses, bridges, drive-through lanes, tree branches, parking garages and signs prohibiting truck traffic.
Budget Truck Rental's fleet features cargo vans, 10-foot, 16-foot and 24-foot trucks with ramps or lift gates and is one of the cleanest and best-maintained rental truck fleets on the road. Every vehicle undergoes a 10-point quality inspection to ensure proper fluid levels, tire pressure and other necessary elements for a reliable, safe rental. All Budget trucks feature automatic transmissions. Budget Truck Rental also offers 24/7 roadside assistance.
For more information or to make a reservation, visit www.budgettruck.com.
About Budget Truck Rental
Budget Truck Rental is a leading truck rental company in the United States, serving both the consumer and light commercial sectors. Budget Truck Rental operates through a network of approximately 2,000 corporate-owned and dealer locations throughout the continental United States. Budget Truck Rental is a wholly owned subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:CAR). For further information, visit www.budgettruck.com.
CONTACT: Alice Pereira 973-496-3916 PR@avisbudget.com
Source: Budget Truck Rental