RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif., May 12, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq:KOOL), an autologous cell-based regenerative medicine company, today announced the formation of the Company's Clinical and Scientific Advisory Board ("CSAB") and the appointment of Solomon Hamburg MD, Ph.D.
The CSAB will serve to help set strategic goals for the advancement of research towards the development and commercialization of autologous cellular therapies to improve patient care in the fields of hematology/oncology, cardio/vascular and orthopedic indications. The CSAB will review evidence based practices, identify training needs of network providers, identify reimbursement processes and monitor clinical guidelines that include cultural factors important in achieving optimum patient outcomes. The newly formed CSAB will consist of leading scientists, researchers and clinicians drawn from the regenerative medicine field who have led landmark clinical research in hematology/oncology, cardiovascular and orthopedic development.
Dr. Hamburg is a graduate of the New York University School of Medicine. He completed his residency in internal medicine at the New York Hospital Cornell Medical School and a fellowship in hematology-oncology at the University of California, Los Angeles ("UCLA"). At UCLA, he was a bone-marrow transplantation fellow. Dr. Hamburg is a partner at Tower Hematology Oncology Medical Group, a Cedars Sinai Medical Center company and is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in hematology, medical oncology and internal medicine. He currently serves as a clinical professor of medicine at the UCLA School of Medicine and as the CEO of the Tower Cancer Research Foundation. Dr. Hamburg will serve as the Chairman of the Hematopoietic Stem Cell Therapy ("HSCT") and Bone Marrow Transplant committees for the CSAB.
"The formation of this advisory board speaks to Cesca's continued commitment to support the highest quality scientific and clinical research. Dr. Hamburg's experience and expert guidance will play a critical role in guiding our research and product development pipeline initiatives as we continue to build Cesca's leadership position in autologous cell based therapy," stated Matthew Plavan, Chief Executive Officer of Cesca Therapeutics.
Additional members will be added in the near term to broaden the CSAB's clinical specialties and reflect the international nature of Cesca's research.
About Cesca Therapeutics
Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (www.cescatherapeutics.com) is engaged in the research, development, and commercialization of autologous cell-based therapeutics for use in regenerative medicine. We are a leader in developing and manufacturing automated blood and bone marrow processing systems that enable the separation, processing and preservation of cell and tissue therapy products. These include:
- SurgWerks™ Platform, proprietary stem cell therapy point-of-care kit systems for treating vascular and orthopedic indications that integrate the following indication specific systems:
- Cell harvesting
- Cell processing and selection
- Cell diagnostics
- Cell delivery
- CellWerksTM Platform, a proprietary stem cell laboratory kit for processing target cells used in the treatments of oncological and hematological disorders.
- AXP® AutoXpress® Platform (AXP), a proprietary family of automated devices that includes the AXP and the MXP® MarrowXpress® and companion sterile blood processing disposables for harvesting stem cells in closed systems. The AXP device is used for the processing of cord blood.
- The MarrowXpress Platform (MXP), a derivative product of the AXP and its accompanying disposable bag set, isolates and concentrates stem cells from bone marrow. Self-powered and microprocessor-controlled, the MXP contains flow control optical sensors that volume-reduces blood from bone marrow to a user defined volume in 30 minutes, while retaining over 90% of the MNCs.
- The Res-Q™ 60 (Res-Q), a point-of-care system designed for the preparation of cell concentrates, including stem cells, from bone marrow aspirates and whole blood for platelet rich plasma (PRP).
- The BioArchive® System, an automated cryogenic device, used by cord blood stem cell banks in more than 30 countries for cryopreserving and archiving cord blood stem cell units for transplant.
This press release contains forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements include but are not limited to that Cesca Therapeutics Inc. will provide unmatched world-class capability and service to its clients. These statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual outcomes to differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements. A more complete description of risks that could cause actual events to differ from the outcomes predicted by our forward-looking statements is set forth under the caption "Risk Factors" in Cesca Therapeutics annual report on Form 10-K and other reports we file with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time, and you should consider each of those factors when evaluating the forward-looking statements.
Source:Cesca Therapeutics Inc.