What: A half-day event with nationally recognized experts on antitrust law and health policy on the role of antitrust law in responding to today's changing health care markets. Hosted by the National Academy of Social Insurance (NASI).
When: 1:30pm-5:00pm ~ Thursday May 29, 2014
Where: Bipartisan Policy Center, 1225 Eye Street, NW, Suite 100, Washington, D.C. 20005
WASHINGTON, D.C. May 27, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Consolidation of hospitals and physician practices appears to have enabled some providers to drive prices above competitive levels. At the same time, the dominance of particular health plans raises concerns about the monopsony power of insurers and the effect on prices. Add to this provisions in the Affordable Care Act (ACA) that are designed to improve the integration of care that have the potential to enhance the pricing power of providers and one begins to get a picture of the forces roiling health care markets today.
Discussions at this event will address:
- The applicability of antitrust law to current markets and the ability of antitrust law to prevent anticompetitive behavior and remedy extant monopolies; and
- The role of Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) in preserving or expanding competition in health care markets.
Speakers will include:
- Barak D. Richman, Duke University
- Paul Ginsburg, University of Southern California Sol Price School of Public Policy
- James C. Robinson, University of California, Berkeley
- Robert Berenson, Institute Fellow, Urban Institute
Visit nasi.org/events to register and see a full agenda.
Questions? Contact Jill Braunstein at (202) 243-7009 ext. 1303
The National Academy of Social Insurance is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization made up of the nation's leading experts on social insurance. Its mission is to advance solutions to challenges facing the nation by increasing public understanding of how social insurance contributes to economic security.
CONTACT: Jill Braunstein: (202) 243-7009 ext. 1303 or visit "events" - www.nasi.orgSource:National Academy of Social Insurance(NASI)