GREENVILLE, Wis., June 4, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- School Specialty, Inc. (OTCQB:SCOO) ("School Specialty" or "the Company"), a leading distributor of innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to the education marketplace, is proud to announce its sponsorship of The School Art League Student Scholarships and Awards 2014. A formal ceremony will be held on Friday, June 6, 2014 at 3 p.m. ET at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium in New York City.
Since 1909, the mission of The School Art League is to support art education and career development and to provide recognition and encouragement for student artists. The New York City Department of Education and the trustees of The School Art League have joined together to provide visual arts scholarships and financial awards to graduating seniors from New York City public high schools. A total of six student scholarships and awards will be presented, including:
- School Art league/Pratt Institute/Marcia Friedmutter Scholarship – given to a senior whose exemplary character and talent have served the school and community through art and who plans to attend Pratt Institute.
- School Art league/School of Visual Arts/Henry Wolf Scholarship – given to a senior who excels in graphic design and/or photography and plans to attend the School of Visual Arts.
- Jane Curliano Mazzella/Fashion Institute of Technology Scholarship – given to a senior who excels in visual arts and academic studies and plans to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology.
- School Art league/Art Education/Renee Darvin Award – given to a senior who has continually demonstrated excellence and commitment to the visual arts and high academic achievement, and will be attending college to become an art educator.
- Art Directors Club Award – given to a senior who has completed the Saturday Art Career Workshops with distinction and will be attending college in preparation for a career in visual arts.
- Johnie Bennings-Norman-Jones Award – given to a senior who has excelled in art, demonstrated leadership qualities, performed service to school and community and is committed to continuing the study of art.
Additionally, during the ceremony, six very deserving public high school art teachers will be recognized for their ongoing commitment to further advance art education and to those specifically who have mentored and supported the 2014 School Art League award and scholarship recipients.
School Specialty, through its innovative proprietary brands and third-party offerings, has been servicing the New York public school system for decades, providing supplies, furniture and various teaching materials to all grade levels, beginning in pre-K and through 12th grade. Some of the Company's proprietary brands include Classroom Select®, Classroom Direct, Childcraft®, Abilitations®, Sportime®, SchoolSmart®, Sax® Arts & Crafts, SPARK®, Premier Agendas™, Delta Education®, CPO Science™, Frey Scientific®, EPS, Hammond & Stephens, Brodhead Garrett, Califone®, and more.
Sax is School Specialty's premier arts & crafts brand which has been around for decades. The mission of Sax is to inspire and engage students at all grade levels to help spark creative learning in the classroom. From clay to canvas and paint to printmaking supplies, students and teachers have been using the most vital school art supplies from Sax. Art is not just a classroom exercise, it's a way of life as it helps students develop communication and critical thinking skills, and fosters the creativity that is essential to innovation.
"We are honored to share this experience with New York's most deserving students and teachers in art education. For students, the opportunity to go to college and pursue their dreams is most meaningful for us, as we at School Specialty pride ourselves on fostering education, from the early childhood years throughout one's educational career. For teachers, this is equally important as they are the ones who dedicate themselves each and every day, teaching our children and helping them become future leaders," stated Pat Collins, Executive Vice President of School Specialty. "We also want to thank The School Art League for this opportunity and for their more than 100 years of service in supporting art education and career development. We are proud to be a sponsor of this most distinguished event and look forward to working with The School Art League in the coming years."
About School Specialty Inc.
School Specialty (@SchoolSpecialty) is a leading distributor of innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to the education marketplace. The Company designs, develops, and provides educators with the latest and very best school supplies, furniture and both curriculum and supplemental learning resources. Working in collaboration with educators, School Specialty reaches beyond the scope of textbooks to help teachers, guidance counselors and school administrators ensure that every student reaches his or her full potential. For more information about School Specialty, visit www.schoolspecialty.com.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Dionne Manchester GW Communications (for School Specialty Inc.) Tel: 212-786-6068 Email: dionne@GWCco.com
Source:School Specialty, Inc.