BILLERICA, Mass., June 19, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- American Science and Engineering, Inc. ("AS&E") (Nasdaq:ASEI), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, today introduced the MINI Z™, the world's first handheld Z Backscatter® imaging scanner for fast, portable, real-time detection of hidden organic threats, such as drugs, contraband, plastic guns, ceramic knives, and explosives. Designed for law enforcement, first responders, border control, event security, maritime police, and general aviation security, the MINI Z system's single-sided imaging and compact size offers unsurpassed operational flexibility — scanning effectively "on the go" in the hardest-to-reach environments.
Photos accompanying this release are available at
"Leveraging the breakthrough capabilities of our Z Backscatter detection technology, the MINI Z system is AS&E's initial offering of what will be a family of portable backscatter products," said Chuck Dougherty, AS&E's President and CEO. "We have taken the technology behind the success of the ZBV® system and miniaturized it — making it more affordable and accessible to a broader range of customers. The MINI Z system is a game-changer for law enforcement and border security officials who are constantly challenged to quickly and accurately detect potential threats in hard-to-reach environments as they work to ensure the highest level of public safety."
The MINI Z system is ideal for security and public safety officials for multiple applications. Examples include:
- Public Safety: Quick screening of unattended and suspicious bags and packages for potential terrorist threats in public spaces.
- Border and Security Checkpoints: Inspecting vehicle bumpers, tires, panels, and interiors for explosives, plastic weapons, and other concealed threats and contraband.
- Drug Enforcement: Investigating suspected drug labs for drugs or currency.
- Event Security: Screening hand baggage and deliveries to ensure public safety.
- VIP Security: Security sweeps of meeting rooms and furniture for organic threats and IEDs to ensure personnel safety.
- Maritime Security: Screening the hulls and bulkheads of suspected drug running boats for contraband or narcotics.
- General Aviation Security: Inspecting the seats, compartments, and panels of small planes for hidden contraband.
MINI Z — the World's First Handheld Z Backscatter® Imaging System:
- Scans in Places Other Systems Can't Reach: The MINI Z system is a compact, single-sided imager that can be used to scan objects in hard-to-reach areas, such as unattended bags, backpacks, or packages in a subway or bus. Unlike density meters, trace detectors, or portable transmission X-ray systems, the MINI Z system produces an easy-to-interpret image to quickly detect organic threats and contraband behind non-metallic surfaces.
- Unsurpassed detection of organic threats: The MINI Z handheld system uses AS&E's signature Z Backscatter technology, an advanced X-ray imaging technology that produces a real-time image of the scan target, highlighting organic materials that transmission X-ray systems can miss, such as explosives, currency, and drugs.
- An easy to use, all-in-one imaging system: The MINI Z system is self-contained and does not require set-up, enabling immediate operation. The operator controls the scanning function using a simple, intuitive GUI on the system's dedicated tablet, upon which an image of the scanned target appears in real-time.
- Safe, secure and dependable operation: The MINI Z system is safe for operators, bystanders, and the environment. The system's X-ray dose conforms to the appropriate ANSI, ICRP, NCRP, and EURATOM radiation safety standards. Although the MINI Z is a low-energy and low-dose Z Backscatter system, it is not designed to scan people. The MINI Z system must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions as well as applicable laws and regulations.
American Science and Engineering, Inc. (AS&E) is the trusted global provider of threat and contraband detection solutions for ports, borders, military, critical infrastructure, law enforcement, and aviation. With over 50 years of experience, AS&E offers proven, advanced, X-ray inspection systems to combat terrorism, drug smuggling, illegal immigration and trade fraud. AS&E systems are designed in a variety of configurations for cargo and vehicle inspection, parcel inspection, and personnel screening. Using a combination of technologies, these systems provide superior detection capabilities, with high-energy, dual-energy, and Z Backscatter® X-rays. Learn more about AS&E products and technologies at www.as-e.com or follow us on Twitter @ase_detects.
Safe Harbor Statement: The foregoing press release contains statements concerning AS&E's financial performance, markets and business operations that may be considered "forward-looking" under applicable securities laws. AS&E wishes to caution readers of this press release that actual results might differ materially from those projected in any forward-looking statements. Factors which might cause actual results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements contained herein include the following: significant reductions, delays or cancellations (in full or in part) in procurements of the Company's systems by the United States and other governments; disruption in the supply of any source component incorporated into AS&E's products; litigation seeking to restrict the use of intellectual property used by the Company; limitations under certain laws on the Company's ability to protect its own intellectual property; potential product liability claims against the Company; global political trends and events which affect public perception of the threat presented by drugs, explosives and other contraband; global economic developments and the ability of governments and private organizations to fund purchases of the Company's products to address such threats; the potential insufficiency of Company resources, including human resources, capital, plant and equipment and management systems, to accommodate any future growth; technical problems and other delays that could impact new product development and the Company's ability to adapt to changes in technology and customer requirements; competitive pressures; lengthy sales cycles both in United States government procurement and procurement abroad; future delays in federal funding, the market price of the company's stock prevailing from time to time, the nature of other investment opportunities presented to the company from time to time, the company's cash flows from operations and market and general economic conditions. These and certain other factors which might cause actual results to differ materially from those projected are detailed from time to time in AS&E's periodic reports and registration statements filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which important factors are incorporated herein by reference. AS&E undertakes no obligation to update forward looking statements to reflect changed assumptions, the occurrence of unanticipated events, or changes in future operating results, financial condition or business over time. Readers are further advised to review the "Risk Factors" set forth in the Company's most recent Form 10-Q and Form 10-K, which further detail and supplement the factors described in this Safe Harbor Statement. Among other disclosures, the Risk Factors disclose risks pertaining to that portion of the Company's business that is dependent on United States government contracting as well as international customers.
The photos are also available via AP PhotoExpress
Source:American Science and Engineering, Inc.