The Sooner State gets its nickname from the 19th-century settlers who raced there to stake their claims. If the Land Rush were happening today, they might not be in as much of a hurry. Oklahoma ranks among the worst states in the nation for crime, health and air quality.
- 2014 Quality of Life score: 70 points (out of 300)
- Weaknesses: Health, crime, air quality, local attractions
- Strength: Only 16th worst for toxic chemical releases
- 2013 Quality of Life rank: 45
- 2014 Top States overall rank: 28