79 new listings in second quarter, including 55 IPOs
Strongest first half of the year for new listings at NASDAQ since 2000 with 99 IPOs in 2014
Leads U.S. exchanges in technology and venture capital-backed IPOs completed in the quarter
NEW YORK, June 30, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:NDAQ) announced that it welcomed 79 new listings in the second quarter of 2014, including 55 initial public offerings (IPOs), on The NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ), to bring its total IPO count to 99 for the first half of 2014. This represents more IPOs than any other U.S. exchange and a 57 percent increase in listings compared to the same quarter last year – marking the strongest first half of the year for NASDAQ listings since 2000. The combined proceeds raised by NASDAQ's IPOs in the second quarter totaled approximately $8.8 billion to bring its year-to-date proceeds raised to approximately $13.5 billion.
"NASDAQ is maintaining its leadership position by continuing to attract new and quality companies, which further reinforces the strength of our capital markets," said Nelson Griggs, Senior Vice President of listings at NASDAQ OMX. "We are extremely proud to be the exchange of choice for innovative companies seeking to go public from a broad range of sectors and we expect to see positive momentum in the IPO market for the remainder of the year."
SECOND QUARTER 2014 HIGHLIGHTS+
- Over 60 percent of all IPOs in the U.S. during the second quarter occurred on NASDAQ.
- 90 percent of NASDAQ's IPOs in the second quarter filed under the JOBS Act.
- NASDAQ continues to attract leading technology companies to its market.
- 13 technology companies listed in the second quarter, more than any other U.S. exchange, including:
- JD.com (Nasdaq:JD)
- GoPro (Nasdaq:GPRO)
- Sabre Technologies (Nasdaq:SABR)
- Weibo (Nasdaq:WB)
- Top five technology IPOs by proceeds raised in the second quarter listed on NASDAQ.
- NASDAQ's technology IPOs in 2014 are up an average of 29 percent from their offer price to date.
Venture Capital and Private Equity-backed IPOs
- 74 percent of venture capital-backed IPOs listed with NASDAQ during the first half of 2014.
- 12 private-equity backed listings, including The Michaels Companies (Nasdaq:MIK) and Markit Ltd. (Nasdaq:MRKT)
- Venture capital and private equity-sponsored IPOs raised more than $7.6 billion in combined proceeds.
(+Data source: EDGAR Online, Renaissance Capital as of June 27, 2014)
|SECOND QUARTER 2014|
|TOTAL NEW LISTINGS (April 1, 2014 – June 30, 2014)*||79|
|Initial Public Offerings**||55|
|Upgrades from Over-the-Counter||15|
|ETF, Structured Products, Reverse Mergers & Other Listings||8|
|Transfers to NASDAQ from Competing Exchanges||1|
*Data source: NASDAQ, FactSet, EDGAR Online
**Includes the following capital raising events in the U.S. as priced between April 1, 2014 and June 27, 2014: IPO, REIT, SPAC, BDC, Foreign Exchange Dual Listing, Best Effort and Spin-offs
NASDAQ OMX NORDIC SECOND QUARTER 2014 HIGHLIGHTS
(Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Sweden)
"The first half of 2014 has been the strongest in our Nordic markets since 2007, both in terms of new listings and capital raised and across a wide range of sectors," said Adam Kostyál, Senior Vice President and head of European listings at NASDAQ OMX. "Year over year we have seen a 100 percent increase in listings and based on the current pipeline, the second half of 2014 will be equally strong. In addition, we continue to see interest among European companies, particularly within tech and life science, looking to raise capital at NASDAQ in the U.S. which has a favorable investor ecosystem for these specialty sectors."
- NASDAQ OMX Nordic Listings year-to-date:
- Total 43 Listings* (18 Main Market, 25 First North)
- 30** IPOs (11 Main Market, 19 First North)
- Proceeds raised year-to-date***:
- Approximately $4.5 billion
- Approximately $4.5 billion
- Top three NASDAQ OMX Nordic IPOs in 2014:
- ISS (ISS) – $1.5 billion (Copenhagen)
- Com Hem (COMH) – $854 million (Stockholm)
- OW Bunker (OW) - $575 million (Copenhagen)
*Including switches and secondary listings
***Nordic main markets and First North
About NASDAQ OMX Group
NASDAQ OMX (Nasdaq:NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents. Through its diverse portfolio of solutions, NASDAQ OMX enables customers to plan, optimize and execute their business vision with confidence, using proven technologies that provide transparency and insight for navigating today's global capital markets. As the creator of the world's first electronic stock market, its technology powers more than 70 marketplaces in 50 countries, and 1 in 10 of the world's securities transactions. NASDAQ OMX is home to more than 3,400 listed companies with a market value of over $8.5 trillion and more than 10,000 corporate clients. To learn more, visit www.nasdaqomx.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
The matters described herein contain forward-looking statements that are made under the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements about NASDAQ OMX's listings business and other businesses, products and offerings. We caution that these statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties or other factors beyond NASDAQ OMX's control. These factors include, but are not limited to factors detailed in NASDAQ OMX's annual report on Form 10-K, and periodic reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. We undertake no obligation to release any revisions to any forward-looking statements.
Source:The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.