Maybe there's something to all that talk about America catching the soccer bug.
"The white jerseys Team USA is wearing have been the No. 1 selling jersey on all of Fanatics," Boyle told CNBC. The Fanatics website is seeing a 50 percent increase in soccer merchandise orders on Team USA game days and the day following.
They are also seeking big traffic on mobile devices as fans are turning to their smartphones to place those spur-of-the-moment orders. Mobile traffic to USA soccer merchandise pages is increasing 70 percent or more on game days.
Some interesting numbers reported by Fanatics include:
- Fanatics.com has sold 10 times as much Team USA merchandise in the first two weeks of this year's World Cup compared with the first two weeks of the 2010 World Cup.
- More Team USA merchandise has been sold on Fanatics.com in the first two weeks of this year's World Cup than during the entire 2010 calendar year.
- The top-selling item overall on Fanatics.com over the past seven days has been this USA Soccer Jersey.
- Clint Dempsey is the top-selling soccer player on Fanatics.com.
- In the last seven days, Team USA gear has been purchased by customers in all 50 states and more than 15 countries.
So do all those orders come close to levels seen during the Super Bowl or World Series? Not quite. Boyle characterized current Team USA sales as more akin to NCAA March Madness levels, which he attributed to at least in part to the unpredictable schedule of the World Cup.
—By CNBC's Jessica Golden