AUSTIN, TX, TEXAS, July 2, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The most American of holidays is upon us, bringing people to our highways, airports, and train stations in droves. AAA reports that more than 41 million Americans will travel between July 2 and July 7, a 1.6% from last year and up 44% from the height of the recession in 2009.
"Despite the highest gas prices in six years, this 4th of July more than 8 out of 10 travelers will arrive to their destination by car, as reported by AAA," said Joseph Kopser, Co-Founder and CEO of RideScout. "No matter if you travel 4 miles or 400 this weekend, RideScout enables travelers to choose smart transportation options, whether that's sharing a car to save on gas, taking the metro to avoid traffic, or finding available parking."
RideScout aggregates ground transportation services, including public transit, private options, and social rideshare, allowing people to search and compare options on demand and in real time. Making summer transportation more efficient everywhere, the company just announced their "Summer of 69" campaign, enabling travelers to use RideScout in 69 cities across the US and Canada.
RideScout's transportation experts have developed a list of the top five travel tips for this 4th of July weekend:
- Use public transit: If you're visiting a new city or staying in your own, public transit is your best bet. Use buses, trains, and subway systems to navigate. RideScout integrates real time data in many cities across the country, so you won't be stuck waiting for a bus that has been rerouted due to the fireworks display.
- Book parking in advance: If you need to drive into the city, parking can be a nightmare. Luckily, RideScout has integrated parking availability so you can find available garage spaces and book them ahead of time or right when you need it. Then, with just two taps in the app we can help you navigate to your final destination from the garage.
- Share your ride: A lot of us are going to remote destinations this holiday weekend. If you have to drive, fill the empty seats in your own car (or a Zipcar!). Splitting the cost of gas and having a companion to work the playlist as you drive? Win-win.
- Stop waiting in taxi lines: Traveling by air for the 4th of July? Don't wait in the mile long taxi line when you land. RideScout has integrated taxi like Hailo and Flywheel and ride-for-hire options like Sidecar and Gett in cities across the country. Land, book your ride, and get there fast.
- Ride a bike: Once you've arrived to your destination (or if you've never left at all) start pedaling! This is the perfect weekend to try out a bikeshare system or go for a leisurely ride on your own set of wheels. Find bikeshare availability and biking directions in RideScout.
About RideScout: RideScout is a technology platform that aggregates public, private and social rideshare on its free iOS and Android apps, allowing people to search and compare ground transportation options on demand and in real time. Hailed as the Kayak™ of ground transportation, RideScout shows users transit, taxi, ride share, car share, bike share, carpool, walking, biking, driving and parking in one view. The company is based in Austin, TX, with a Washington, DC, office at startup campus 1776. Visit www.ridescoutapp.com for more information.
CONTACT: Rachel Charlesworth firstname.lastname@example.org 202-904-0116