Orbitz app now customized for the new Amazon Fire phone,
available in stores today
Smartphone ownership now matching PC ownership for the first time,
according to new Orbitz Mobile Bookers study
CHICAGO, July 25, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Orbitz.com today released a customized app for Amazon's new Fire phone. The Orbitz Flights, Hotels, Cars app builds upon Fire phone's unique technology to give users an enhanced and more immersive smartphone experience in addition to all of the travel deals and great features – like the Orbitz Rewards loyalty program – that travelers have grown to love about the highly-rated, award-winning app.
Download the app now on the Amazon Appstore.
"In the new Orbitz Mobile Bookers study, 91 percent of respondents said they own smartphones, up 30 percent from 2013," said Ryan Kowalczyk, director of mobile for Orbitz Worldwide. "According to our study, smartphone ownership now equals PC ownership, and with more than 30 percent of Orbitz hotel transactions now coming from mobile devices, we are excited to get our award-winning app in the hands of more travelers and on new devices, such as Fire phone, that utilize fresh technology to enhance the user's experience. The Orbitz mobile team customized the app for Fire phone and we are excited to see how consumers respond to the app on the new platform."
"Orbitz has innovated using Fire phone's unique capabilities to offer customers a new kind of experience for people on the go," said Steve Rabuchin, Vice President, Amazon Appstore. "We're thrilled that Orbitz has created an app for Fire phone. We think customers are going to love the experience."
Features of the Orbitz app customized to take advantage of Fire phone's capabilities:
- Enhanced Carousel: Save time by returning to previous flight, hotel, or rental car searches right from the device's home screen. The app takes advantage of Fire's enhanced carousel by displaying recent travel searches done in the app as well as searches done on the Orbitz app on other devices. Simply tap to see updated search results in the app where you can quickly complete your booking. Customers looking for a hotel right now can use the enhanced carousel to quickly book a nearby hotel anywhere in the world and take advantage of exclusive Orbitz Mobile Steals of up to 50 percent off at thousands of hotels worldwide.
- Dynamic Perspective: Fire Phone's Dynamic Perspective technology allows users to view in multiple dimensions, enhances the look and feel of the app and gives users an immersive experience – the Orbitz "moving O" never looked so good. The new technology also allows the app's new travel inspiration pictures within the enhanced carousel to jump out at travelers.
- One-handed gestures: More easily navigate the app with one hand by simply using Fire phone's tilt gesture to access the app's navigation menu from anywhere. Plus, the peek gesture on the Orbitz app's flight search results screen reveals more details of each flight including flight duration and layover airport – all without ever touching the screen.
In addition to the new Amazon Fire phone, the app is also available for Kindle Fire. Orbitz.com is the number one way to book travel on a mobile device and has an over 4-star rating among consumers across mobile platforms. The app also recently won the 2014 Appy Award for best travel app. For more information on the Orbitz suite of mobile products visit www.orbitz.com/mobile.
More statistics from the new Orbitz Mobile Bookers study:1
- Travel purchases are on average the most expensive transactions by consumers using mobile devices. Users, on average, spend $1,076 in travel on a mobile device outspending electronics purchases by $54.
- Mobile booking intent continues to grow among current smartphone and tablet bookers. Sixty percent are "extremely likely" to book travel again on a mobile device, an increase of 22 percent year-over-year. And, of smartphone users that have never booked on a mobile device, 75 percent are likely to book travel on a mobile device in the future, up 36 percent year-over-year.
- Mobile Loyalty is important to mobile bookers. Orbitz mobile bookers said they are actively using their mobile devices for earning, redeeming and managing their rewards with over half (53 percent) reporting they joined the Orbitz Rewards loyalty program on a smartphone, 64 percent report redeeming rewards – Orbucks – on a mobile device.
Download photos of the Orbitz app for the Amazon Fire phone.
1The third annual Orbitz Mobile Bookers study of 1,330 Orbitz mobile and non-mobile hotel bookers was conducted for Orbitz by Insight Express, May 21-27, 2014.
Orbitz.com is a leading travel website that enables consumers to search for and book a broad range of hotels, flights, car rentals, cruises, vacation packages and destination activities. Since launching in June 2001, Orbitz.com has become one of the world's largest online travel sites. Orbitz.com now offers the groundbreaking Orbitz Rewards loyalty program—the only program where customers can earn rewards immediately on flights, hotels and packages, and redeem instantly on tens of thousands of hotels worldwide. Use the Orbitz Rewards Visa® Card to earn even more rewards. Orbitz.com is the #1 way to book travel on mobile devices, be it using our apps (get them at www.orbitz.com/mobile) or our smartphone-optimized website (m.orbitz.com), both of which are tailored for smartphones and tablets. The Orbitz app won the 2014 Appy Award for best travel app. Orbitz also ranks #1 in Online Travel Website Customer Satisfaction in the 2014 American Customer Satisfaction Index. Follow Orbitz on Facebook, Twitter and through the Orbitz Travel Blog. Orbitz.com is operated by Orbitz Worldwide (NYSE:OWW).
About Orbitz Worldwide
Orbitz Worldwide (NYSE:OWW) is a leading global online travel company using technology to transform the way consumers around the world plan and purchase travel. Orbitz Worldwide operates the consumer travel planning sites Orbitz (www.orbitz.com), ebookers (www.ebookers.com), HotelClub (www.hotelclub.com) and CheapTickets (www.cheaptickets.com). Also within the Orbitz Worldwide family, Orbitz Partner Network (www.orbitz.com/OPN) delivers private label travel technology solutions to a broad range of partners including some of the world's largest airlines and travel agencies, and Orbitz for Business (www.orbitzforbusiness.com) delivers managed travel solutions for companies of all sizes. Orbitz Worldwide makes investor relations information available at investors.orbitz.com.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Marita Hudson Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-312-260-8304Source:Orbitz Worldwide