In Time for the Holidays, the Leading British TV Specialist Features Collections of Agatha Christie's Poirot, Upstairs, Downstairs, Jeeves & Wooster, WWII Docs, and More
*Limited DVD sets are available for gift guides
SILVER SPRING, Md., Sept. 17, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Offering a treasure trove of gift possibilities for Anglophiles and lovers of British mysteries, dramas, documentaries and comedies, leading British TV specialist Acorn, an RLJ Entertainment, Inc. (Nasdaq:RLJE) brand, features several value-priced DVD collections in time for the holidays. Acorn has something for everyone on your list. For mystery lovers, the bonus-packed Agatha Christie's Poirot, Complete Cases Collection features the remarkable 25-year run of fan favorite David Suchet as Agatha Christie's iconic detective. For period drama lovers, Upstairs, Downstairs is considered one of the best series of all-time, and The Ultimate Collection features the entire five series, 25+ hours of bonus features, and the spin-off series Thomas & Sarah. For comedy lovers, Jeeves & Wooster Complete Collection features all four series of the beloved P.G. Wodehouse comedy starring Hugh Laurie (House) and Stephen Fry. For documentary lovers, the Secret History of World War II features three fascinating, recent multi-episode documentaries exploring little-known details of World War II.
Called the "chief curators of the best Brit TV" by TIME magazine, RLJ Entertainment's Acorn brand holds exclusive North American distribution rights to many of the most beloved British programs of all-time, which are available for broadcast television, in lavishly packaged DVDs/Blu-rays, and via Acorn TV, the premier British TV-focused streaming service in North America at Acorn.TV.
Acorn's value-priced 2014 collections:
- Agatha Christie's Poirot, Complete Cases Collection (Nov. 4) - "One of the great TV achievements—and great TV performances—of the past 30 years" (The Telegraph) – After 25 unparalleled years on television, Poirot's final episodes premiered this summer on Acorn TV. Led by fan favorite David Suchet, Poirot has been a stepping stone for many rising actors, including guest stars Emily Blunt, Michael Fassbender, Damian Lewis, Jessica Chastain, Tom Mison, Hugh Bonneville, among many others. The DVD 33-Disc Collector's Edition ($349.99) and the Blu-ray 28-Disc Collector's Edition ($399.99) feature all 13 series (70 episodes) remastered and packed with several bonus features, including the exquisite Being Poirot documentary, Super Sleuths behind-the-scenes program, David Suchet on the Orient Express, and much more (86+ hours plus bonus).
- Upstairs, Downstairs: The Ultimate Collection (Nov. 25) - Seen by a billion people in 40 countries around the world, the iconic 1970s series is one of television's best loved and most lauded series. This hugely collectible set includes all five series, 25+ hours of extras, PLUS the spinoff series, Thomas and Sarah (DVD 26-Disc Set, $199.99).
- Jeeves & Wooster Complete Collection (Nov. 25) - Fan favorites Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry star in this beloved adaptation of legendary British writer PG Wodehouse's timeless tales about a boneheaded aristocrat and his brilliant valet (DVD 8-Disc Set, 23 episodes, $59.99).
- Secret History of World War II (Oct. 14) - Three riveting, recent multi-episode documentaries tell untold stories of World War II. Collection includes: Narrow Escapes of World War II, Secret War, and The Rise of the Nazi Party (DVD 11-disc set, more than 30 hours of content, $99.99).
- Earlier 2014 collections also available include:
- Classic Drama Collection - Representing the best of British costume drama, this lush collection features five classics with star-studded casts including Kate Beckinsale, Andrew Lincoln, Samantha Morton, Samantha Bond, and Kenneth Branagh. Set includes: Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre, Jane Austen's Emma, The Death of the Heart, The Lady's Not for Burning, and The Woman in White (DVD 5-Disc Set, $79.99).
- Father Brown: The Complete Collection- First complete collection of the hit mystery seen on PBS's Mystery! in the mid-1970s and starring film legend Kenneth More as G.K. Chesterton's wily detective (DVD 4-Disc Set, 13 episodes, $59.99).
- William & Mary: The Complete Collection - Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) stars as an undertaker who finds an unlikely connection with a midwife (Julie Graham, The Bletchley Circle) in this addictive British dramedy (2003-2005, DVD 6-Disc Set, 18 episodes, $59.99).
- Murder in Suburbia Complete Collection - "A combination of Sex and the City and CSI" (Chicago Tribune) - The complete collection of Britain's smart, sassy detective duo featuring Caroline Catz (Doc Martin) and Lisa Faulkner (MI-5) (DVD 4-Disc Set, 12 episodes, $59.99).
- Mapp & Lucia: The Complete Collection – Based on the ever-popular novels of E.F. Benson, the 1985-86 series stars Prunella Scales (Fawlty Towers) and Geraldine McEwan (Marple) (DVD 4-Disc Set, 10 episodes, $59.99)
- Hetty Wainthropp Investigates: The Complete Collection - Beloved mid-1990s PBS Mystery! series starring acclaimed actress Patricia Routledge (Keeping Up Appearances) as housewife-turned-private-investigator with her sidekick Dominic Monaghan (Lost) (DVD 12-Disc Collector's Edition, 27 episodes, $119.99).
Acorn's DVD sets are available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, as well as other retailers, catalog companies, and direct from Acorn at (888) 870-8047 or AcornOnline.com.
ABOUT RLJ ENTERTAINMENT
RLJ Entertainment, Inc. (Nasdaq:RLJE) is a premier independent owner, developer, licensee and distributor of entertainment content and programming in primarily North America, the United Kingdom and Australia with over 5,300 exclusive titles. RLJE is a leader in numerous genres via its owned and distributed brands such as Acorn (British TV), Image (feature films, stand-up comedy), One Village (urban), Acacia (fitness), Athena (documentaries) and Madacy (gift sets). These titles are distributed in multiple formats including broadcast television (including satellite and cable), theatrical and non-theatrical, DVD, Blu-Ray, digital download and digital streaming.
Via its relationship with Agatha Christie Limited, a company that RLJE owns 64% of, RLJE manages the intellectual property and publishing rights to some of the greatest works of mystery fiction, including stories of the iconic sleuths Miss Marple and Poirot. RLJE also owns all rights to the hit UK mystery series Foyle's War.
RLJE leverages its management experience to acquire, distribute and monetize existing and original content for its many distribution channels, including its branded digital subscription channels, Acorn TV and Acacia TV, and engages distinct audiences with programming that appeals directly to their unique viewing interests. Through its proprietary e-commerce web sites and print catalogs for the Acorn and Acacia brands, RLJE has direct contacts and billing relationships with millions of consumers.
*Limited DVD sets are available for gift guides
CONTACT: RLJE Press Contact: Chad Campbell, ccampbell@RLJEntertainment.com
Source:RLJ Entertainment, Inc.