ALMERE, The Netherlands, Oct. 29, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ASM International N.V. (NASDAQ: ASMI and Euronext Amsterdam: ASM) reports today its third quarter 2014 operating results (unaudited) in accordance with US GAAP.
|EUR million||Q3 2013||Q2 2014||Q3 2014|
|Gross profit margin %||39.1||%||42.3||%||43.2||%|
|Result from investments (excl. amortization and fair value purchase price allocation)||10.8||15.8||30.7|
|Remeasurement gain, realized gain on sale of ASMPT shares, amortization and fair value adjustments(1)||(17.2||)||(5.5||)||(5.7||)|
|Normalized net earnings (excl. remeasurement gain realized gain on sale of ASMPT shares, amortization and fair value adjustments)||16.3||40.1||60.2|
- Net sales for the third quarter 2014 decreased with 18% compared to the second quarter. Year-on-year net sales increased with 5%.
- New orders at €156 million were 31% above the Q2 level. The upward deviation with our guidance of stable order intake compared to Q2 was caused by specific orders for ALD and PEALD products which came in earlier than anticipated.
- Normalized net earnings for the third quarter 2014 increased compared to the second quarter mainly due to a higher result from investments and positive currency effects on cash we hold in foreign currencies (especially US$) fully compensating for the lower operating result due to a lower activity level. Compared to the same quarter last year, besides the effect of higher results from investments and currencies, the improvement was mainly due to higher sales in combination with effects of changes in our manufacturing operations and supply chain.
(1) Following the close of the sale on March 15, 2013 of a 12% share in ASMPT, the entity in which the Back-end segment is organized, ASMI's shareholding is reduced to 40%. As a consequence, as from March 15, 2013 the results of ASMPT are deconsolidated. From that date onwards the net result of ASMPT is reported on the line 'result from investments'. In 2013 a purchase price allocation took place, which was finalized in the fourth quarter, resulting in the recognition and subsequent amortization of certain intangible assets.
Commenting on the results, Chuck del Prado, President and Chief Executive Officer of ASM International said:
"The third quarter of 2014 showed the anticipated sales decrease as a result of the lower order intake in Q2. As shared in July this was caused by some customers absorbing the investments they made in the preceding quarters. In the third quarter our order book developed favorably, supported by orders coming in earlier than expected. Despite the lower sales level our gross profit margin remained strong at a 43% level. Our company performance in combination with a healthy cash situation has led to today's announcement of a €100 million share buy back program."
For Q4 we expect a flat to single digit sales increase (on a currency comparable level), while our new orders are expected to be in the €130-150 million range. This would bring new orders for the second half of the year at approximately the same level as for the first half of the year.
SHARE BUYBACK PROGRAM
ASMI announced today that its Management Board authorized the repurchase of up to €100 million of the Company's common shares within the 2014-2015 time frame. This buyback program will be executed by intermediaries through on-exchange purchases and will end as soon as the aggregate purchase price of the common shares acquired by ASMI has reached €100 million. The program does not include repurchases of ASMI's American Depositary Receipts (ADRs).
On May 21, 2014 the General Meeting of Shareholders authorized ASMI to acquire shares for a period of 18 months.
The repurchase program is part of ASMI's commitment to use excess cash for the benefit of its shareholders. It is ASMI's intention to use part of the shares for commitments under employee share-based compensation.
About ASM International
ASM International NV, headquartered in Almere, the Netherlands, its subsidiaries and participations design and manufacture equipment and materials used to produce semiconductor devices. ASM International, its subsidiaries and participations provide production solutions for wafer processing (Front-end segment) as well as for assembly & packaging and surface mount technology (Back-end segment) through facilities in the United States, Europe, Japan and Asia. ASM International's common stock trades on NASDAQ (symbol ASMI) and the Euronext Amsterdam Stock Exchange (symbol ASM). For more information, visit ASMI's website at www.asm.com.
Safe Harbor Statement under the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: All matters discussed in this statement, except for any historical data, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These include, but are not limited to, economic conditions and trends in the semiconductor industry generally and the timing of the industry cycles specifically, currency fluctuations, corporate transactions, financing and liquidity matters, the success of restructurings, the timing of significant orders, market acceptance of new products, competitive factors, litigation involving intellectual property, shareholder and other issues, commercial and economic disruption due to natural disasters, terrorist activity, armed conflict or political instability, epidemics and other risks indicated in the Company's filings from time to time with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, the Company's reports on Form 20-F and Form 6-K. The Company assumes no obligation nor intends to update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect future developments or circumstances.
ASM International will host an investor conference call and web cast on Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 15:00 Continental European Time (10:00 a.m. - US Eastern Daylight Savings Time).
The teleconference dial-in numbers are as follows:
- United States: +1 212 444 0896
- International: +44 (0)20 3427 1912
- The Netherlands: +31 (0)20 716 8257
- Access Code: 2301108
A simultaneous audio web cast will be accessible at www.asm.com.
T: +31 88 100 8500
Mary Jo Dieckhaus
T: +1 212 986 2900
T: +31 625 018 512
Press Release Third Quarter 2014 Results http://hugin.info/132090/R/1866912/655882.pdf
Source:ASM International NV