×

Nigerian rebels deny plans to release schoolgirls: report

Members of the Bring Back Our Girls campaign gather to walk to President Goodluck Jonathan's official residence on October 14, 2014 in Abuja, Nigeria
MacJohn Akende | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images
Members of the Bring Back Our Girls campaign gather to walk to President Goodluck Jonathan's official residence on October 14, 2014 in Abuja, Nigeria

A Nigerian rebel leader said the 219 schoolgirls kidnapped earlier this year have been married off and would not be released, countering an announcement from the country's military, according to an AFP report.

Read MoreTerrorism in Nigeria hitting economy: Central Bank

In a video, the Islamist group's leader, Abubakar Shekau, also denied government claims he had reached a ceasefire agreement and he ruled out future talks, the AFP reported. Shekau also said his group was holding a German national who was kidnapped from northeastern Nigeria in July, the report said.

Read MoreBoko Haram abduct dozens of boys: witnesses

"We did not negotiate with anyone... It's a lie. It's a lie. We will not negotiate. What is our business with negotiation? Allah said we should not," Shekau, speaking in Hausa, said in the video, according to the report.

Boko Haram militants, who want to establish an Islamist state in Nigeria, have caused havoc in the country, particularly in their heartland in the sparsely populated north. They were globally vilified for kidnapping the 219 school girls earlier this year.

Read More Mass Nigerian kidnappings grab investors' attention