DALLAS, TX (November 25, 2014) (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MoneyGram (NASDAQ:MGI), a leading global money transfer company, today announced the distribution of five new grants through the MoneyGram Foundation. The foundation has distributed grants to 27 programs in 22 countries since its launch.
"Every organization the MoneyGram Foundation has funded is focused on transforming education," said Pamela H. Patsley, chairman and chief executive officer, MoneyGram. "In just the first year of distributing grants, the MoneyGram Foundation improved the quality of education for more than 75,000 children around the world. We are proud of this achievement and will continue expanding education access and innovation to inspire minds and improve lives."
For the third grant cycle of 2014, the MoneyGram Foundation awarded grants to the following five organizations:
- The Development Ladder Foundation in Warsaw, Poland to supply orphanages with computers and customized education software as well as teacher trainings.
- The Salvadoran American Humanitarian Foundation (SAHF) in El Salvador, to provide English language courses to children through the FUSAL Proyecto País program.
- Save the Children, to fully fund the reintegration of children from disadvantaged communities into public schools in Bucharest Romania.
- The National Theatre for Children (NTC) in Sydney, Australia to fund a financial literacy program and curriculum for 10 middle schools. "Mad about Money" will teach middle school students the value of budgeting, money management and investing for their future economic security.
- Room to Read, a global organization headquartered in the United States, to support the development and implementation of innovative reading and writing curriculum for their Literacy Program in Zambia, a country with 78% of the population living in poverty and nearly 260,000 children without access to education.
The MoneyGram Foundation is a private grant-making foundation focused on transforming communities through quality education for children. With funding from MoneyGram, MoneyGram employees and valued business relationships, the foundation has been able to successfully fund more than 30 educational programs since the foundation's inception.
"When you invest in education, you provide children with the tools to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. This is why the MoneyGram Foundation remains dedicated to empowering children around the world with access to high-quality education," said Julia Taylor, president of the MoneyGram Foundation and vice president of corporate strategy at MoneyGram.
About MoneyGram International, Inc.
MoneyGram, a leading money transfer company, provides essential services to consumers who are not fully served by traditional financial institutions. MoneyGram offers worldwide money transfer services in more than 200 countries and territories through a global network of 347,000 agent locations, including retailers, international post offices and banks. MoneyGram also offers bill payment services, issues money orders and processes official checks.
About MoneyGram Foundation
MoneyGram, a leading global money transfer company, established the MoneyGram Foundation in 2012 to help children around the world gain access to educational facilities and learning resources. Its mission is firmly rooted in the belief that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families and individual freedom and empowerment. The MoneyGram Foundation is focused on inspiring minds and improving lives, and grants funds to deserving organizations with this mission in mind. To learn more, please visit moneygramfoundation.org.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Michelle Buckalew email@example.com 214-979-1418 #moneygramnews
Source:MoneyGram International, Inc.