Channahon, IL, Nov. 25, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- IOI Loders Croklaan introduced a new and strengthened Sustainable Palm Oil Policy, which supersedes its existing policy and further ensures:
1. No deforestation through the conservation of High Carbon Stock (HCS) forests and the protection of peat areas regardless of the depth;
2. Building a traceable and transparent supply chain;
3. Respecting the rights of employees, indigenous peoples and local communities;
4. Increased focus on driving beneficial economic change and ensuring a positive social impact on people and communities.
The new policy is effective immediately.
Ben Vreeburg, IOI Loders Croklaan's Sustainability Director, says: "We felt it was neces-sary to work towards ensuring our Sustainable Palm Oil requirements were set out more clearly than in our existing Sustainable Palm Oil Sourcing Practices. Our new policy leaves no room for differences in interpretation and is better aligned with recent market and stakeholder's requirements."
IOI Loders Croklaan's commitment to sustainable practices affects the company's entire supply chain, from the choice of its suppliers of palm (kernel) oil to how it operates re-fineries. The policy also applies to all its suppliers of palm oil, palm oil fractions and palm kernel oil.
IOI Loders Croklaan has implemented a time-bound action plan to ensure that all palm oil products it sources are compliant with its own policy. "We strongly believe that a multi-stakeholder approach is the right way forward to transform the palm oil sector. We will continue to work with various stakeholders including our suppliers, customers, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), governments and independent verification bodies to implement our policy", says Vreeburg.
The policy is an additional step in IOI Loders Croklaan's commitment to support a sus-tainable and transparent supply chain. The company was:
1. The first to supply sustainable palm oil to continental Europe (2010);
2. The first to supply sustainable palm oil to the US (2011);
3. The first to supply its entire portfolio as RSPO mass balance (2012)
4. As of October 2014, 96% of the palm oil sourced worldwide is traceable(list of mills);
5. From June 2013 to September 2014, IOI Loders Croklaan has purchased 545,000 ton of RSPO certified palm oil.
IOI Loders Croklaan will continue to be an active supporter of the Roundtable on Sus-tainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and will work to strengthen the RSPO standard and its en-forcement.
About IOI Loders Croklaan
We are a worldwide leading producer and supplier of premium quality oils and fats. Our company is a downstream processing division of IOI Group, one of the world's largest vertically integrated palm oil producers. We develop specialty oils & fats primarily for the food manufacturing industry around the globe, ranging from bakery and confectionary to infant nutrition. We focus on understanding our customers business and on creating tailored offerings together with our customers. We leverage our responsible supply chain with operating excellence to create optimum value.
CONTACT: Shellie Kramer, IOI Loders Croklaan Shellie.firstname.lastname@example.org 815-730-5311 Source: Loders Croklaan