WILMINGTON, Del., Dec. 15, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- With today's announcement of a new research agreement with the Institute for Management Cybernetics (IfU) in Aachen, Germany, mobile technology research and development company InterDigital, Inc. (Nasdaq:IDCC) took the opportunity to highlight the tremendous success of its Innovation Partners group. Launched in 2013, the group drives the company's open innovation strategy and supplements InterDigital's core longtime strength in connectivity.
From a standing start in 2013, the group has achieved several impressive milestones:
- Research agreements with 13 inventors, representing some of the leading-edge scientists, university researchers and inventors around the world;
- Three projects resulting from partnerships with private industry research partners, including VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, a multi-technological applied research organization in Northern Europe, and today's latest announcement with IfU, an elite private research institute in Germany;
- Three projects resulting from university partnerships, including with McGill University in Canada, one of the world's top universities and ranked #1 in Canada for ten years in a row according to MacLean's;
- Two research collaboration and investments in emerging technology companies;
- Four acquisitions in complementary technology areas focused on Content and Context – key elements of what the company calls The Living Networksm; and
- By year-end, a total of more than 100 inventions, also focused on Content and Context.
Innovation Partners has been driven by two seasoned industry veterans:
- Serhad Doken, Vice President, Partner Development, leads InterDigital's external partnering activities. Mr. Doken contributes more than two decades of experience in the technology industry, including tenures with companies such as Qualcomm, Cisco Systems and Nortel Networks. Mr. Doken joined InterDigital in 2009 and has been involved in mapping out the company's technology vision and strategy. He holds a B.S and a M.S. in Computer Engineering from Bosphorus University in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Neal Shah, Vice President, Corporate Development and Strategy, drives InterDigital's corporate development efforts. Mr. Shah brings to his role 15 years of experience in M&A, corporate development and strategy, and joined InterDigital in 2012. Prior to InterDigital, Mr. Shah served as Managing Director of Evercore Partners' corporate advisory business focused on technology, telecom and intellectual property, and previously held similar roles at Expedia Inc. and Microsoft Corporation. He holds a B.S. in Economics with a concentration in Finance from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
"The mobile space is broadening very rapidly, and it's essential for InterDigital to continue to involve itself in innovation that is adjacent to InterDigital Labs' core areas of expertise. Over the past year, our Innovation Partners group has made targeted investments in emerging technology companies, broadened our intellectual property portfolio significantly, and funded research with prolific inventors, renowned research institutes and universities. The efforts of Serhad and Neal in broadening our exposure to innovation and commercial initiatives represent an important contribution alongside our own core research efforts," said William J. Merritt, President and CEO of InterDigital.
InterDigital develops technologies that are at the core of mobile devices, networks, and services worldwide. We solve many of the industry's most critical and complex technical challenges, inventing solutions for more efficient broadband networks and a richer multimedia experience years ahead of market deployment. InterDigital has licenses and strategic relationships with many of the world's leading wireless companies. Founded in 1972, InterDigital is listed on NASDAQ and is included in the S&P MidCap 400® index.
InterDigital is a registered trademark of InterDigital, Inc.
For more information, visit: www.interdigital.com.
CONTACT: Patrick Van de Wille Email: firstname.lastname@example.org +1 (858) 210-4814