SILVER SPRING, Md., Dec. 16, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nuvilex, Inc. (OTCQB:NVLX), a clinical-stage biotechnology company providing cell solutions for the treatment of diseases, today announced a shareholder update on the Company's cancer and diabetes programs utilizing its Cell-in-a-Box® cellulose-based live cell encapsulation technology.
- The first preclinical study by TD2 in the U.S. that deals with the effectiveness of Nuvilex's pancreatic cancer treatment on the accumulation of malignant ascites fluid that is often associated with the growth of abdominal cancers, including pancreatic cancer, has been completed and positive results were obtained.
- Nuvilex has commenced the development of a clinical protocol for the planned Phase 2b clinical trial in pancreatic cancer.
- Applications have been submitted to drug regulatory authorities in the U.S., Europe and Australia to obtain Orphan Drug status for Nuvilex's pancreatic cancer treatment that combines Cell-in-a-Box® with low doses of the anticancer prodrug ifosfamide.
- Contracts have been executed with major institutions that will permit the development of a diabetes treatment that combines Cell-in-a-Box® with insulin-producing cells, and a Diabetes Consortium has been established to facilitate this important research.
- The live cell encapsulation facility in Thailand, where the Cell-in-a-Box® encapsulation will be done, has now officially opened and is an extremely important development as this facility is essential for all of Nuvilex's efforts in developing treatments for cancer and diabetes.
- Rapid progress is being achieved at the University of Northern Colorado in the pursuit of treatments for cancer that will combine cannabinoid-like compounds with the Cell-in-a-Box® technology.
"This is truly an exciting, important time for Nuvilex, and I wish to extend my sincere appreciation to our longstanding shareholders for their continued support during this transformational period of our growth," commented Kenneth L. Waggoner, Chief Executive Officer of Nuvilex.
An extensive update on Nuvilex's programs has been prepared and can be reviewed on the Nuvilex website at: http://www.nuvilex.com/shareholder-update-on-recent-activities-in-the-areas-of-cancer-and-diabetes
Nuvilex (OTCQB:NVLX) is a clinical stage biotechnology company focused on developing and preparing to commercialize treatments for cancer and diabetes based upon a proprietary cellulose-based live cell encapsulation technology known as Cell-in-a-Box®. This unique and patented technology will be used as a platform upon which treatments for several types of cancer, including advanced, inoperable pancreatic cancer, and diabetes are being built. Nuvilex's treatment for pancreatic cancer involves the well-known anticancer prodrug ifosfamide, together with encapsulated live cells, which convert ifosfamide into its active or "cancer-killing" form. In addition, Nuvilex is working towards improving the quality of life for patients with advanced pancreatic cancer and on treatments for other types of solid cancerous tumors. Nuvilex is also developing treatments for cancer based upon chemical constituents of marijuana known as cannabinoids. Nuvilex is examining ways to exploit the benefits of Cell-in-a-Box® technology in optimizing the anticancer effectiveness of cannabinoids, while minimizing or outright eliminating the debilitating side effects usually associated with cancer treatments. This provides Nuvilex a unique opportunity to develop "green" approaches to fighting deadly cancers, such as those of the pancreas, brain and breast, which affect hundreds of thousands of individuals worldwide every year.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements regarding Nuvilex and its future events and results that involve inherent risks and uncertainties. The words "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "plan" and similar expressions, as they relate to Nuvilex or its management, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Important factors, many of which are beyond the control of Nuvilex, could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. They include Nuvilex's ability to continue as a going concern, delays or unsuccessful results in clinical trials or flaws or defects regarding its product candidates, changes in relevant legislation or regulatory requirements, uncertainty of protection of Nuvilex's intellectual property and Nuvilex's continued ability to raise capital. Nuvilex does not assume any obligation to update any of these forward-looking statements.
More information about Nuvilex can be found at www.nuvilex.com. It can also be obtained by contacting Investor Relations.
CONTACT: Investor Relations Contacts: Clare Matschullat Blueprint Life Science Group Telephone: 415.375.3340 Ext. 106 email@example.com