North Korea continued suffering periodic Internet blackouts since restoring service late Monday night.
Dyn Research, the firm that first identified the East Asian nation's 9-hour Internet outage on Monday, said that the country lost connection with the outside Web twice Tuesday morning. The most recent outage began around 10:41 a.m. ET, the firm tweeted.
By 11:12 a.m., service had been restored, Dyn said in another tweet.
North Korea has just over 1,000 IP addresses; all of its connectivity comes through a single Chinese source, and only a handful of elites have access to the Internet. Security experts said yesterday that conducting a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against the country would not be particularly difficult, so multiple parties could have been responsible for the extended delay.
Some experts suggested, however, that the Internet outage was not the result of an attack at all, and could instead have been an intentional action from within North Korea. Alternatively, the Web problems could have been an unusually long instance of normal connectivity issues.
Still, some experts suggested that Monday's attack was a response from the U.S. government for the devastating hacking suffered bySony. The U.S. government blamed Pyongyang for that cyberattack.
"I haven't seen such a steady beat of routing instability and outages in KP before," Doug Madory, director of Internet analysis at DYN Research, told North Korea Tech about Monday's outage. "Usually there are isolated blips, not continuous connectivity problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they are absorbing some sort of attack presently."