GENEVA, Switzerland, Jan. 6, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- STMicroelectronics (NYSE:STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, has begun delivering to lead customers its latest Ultra-HDp60 quad-core system-on-chip ICs (STiH314/318 and STiH414/418), part of its well-established and accepted Cannes/ Monaco family. Several major equipment OEMs have already selected these SoCs for next-generation Ultra-HD products.
"The consumer market for Ultra HD is ready to take off," said Philippe Notton, Group Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Product Division, STMicroelectronics. "And these high-performing, power-efficient and competitively priced system-on-chip ICs now give ST customers the edge in this exciting, promising market."
The key performance capabilities of these chipsets include the following use cases:
- Decoding of Ultra-HD HEVC @ 60 frames/sec with 10-bit color depth streams from all main video-encoder providers and displayed on the latest-generation HDMi2.0 @ 6Gbps;
- Implementation of Ultra-HD p60 RDK client optimizing distribution of high-quality 4K video throughout the whole home via pre-integration of up to 4x4 802.11ac Wi-Fi;
- Delivering the latest Android L version, which benefits from ST's ARM-based CPU/GPU's and supports all the features provided by Google TV;
- Supporting live feeds alongside user-friendly features such as fast channel change (FCC) & transcoding, via numerous third-party middleware;
- Forensic watermarking, building on advanced Conditional Access (CA) and Digital Rights Management (DRM) support, raises the bar in High value Ultra-HD content protection and complies with MovieLabs latest requirements; and
- A High Dynamic Range (HDR) prototype that delivers darker darks and brighter whites with smooth transitions from highlights to shadows, contributing to the stunning impact of 4K content.
These quad-core SoCs are software and pin compatible with the other members of the Cannes (STiH31x) and Monaco (STiH41x) families. This allows customers to reuse their development efforts across the entire family and manage a smooth transition between Full HD and Ultra-HD installations while leveraging a large ecosystem of middleware and 3rd-party applications.
For further information, please visit our ST's Connected-Client Processors and Server and Gateway Processors pages or contact your local ST Sales Office. ST will be highlighting its Cannes/Monaco families and ecosystems in demonstrations and use cases in a private suite in Las Vegas, during the industry's major technology showcase, January 6-9, 2015.
ST is a global leader in the semiconductor market serving customers across the spectrum of sense and power and automotive products and embedded processing solutions. From energy management and savings to trust and data security, from healthcare and wellness to smart consumer devices, in the home, car and office, at work and at play, ST is found everywhere microelectronics make a positive and innovative contribution to people's life. By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented.
In 2013, the Company's net revenues were $8.08 billion. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.
For Press Information Contact:
Director Technical Media Relations
+1 781 591 0354
UltraHD 4Kp60 SoCs from STMicro Start Shipping http://hugin.info/152740/R/1884589/665848.pdf