SAN DIEGO, Jan. 28, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) approved today a new bus services contract agreement with Transdev Services, Inc. The six-year agreement includes two three-year options that could bring the total value of the contract to $735 million. The contract was awarded after a competitive bidding process.
Under this agreement, Transdev will operate 52 of 95 bus route services from MTS facilities in Chula Vista and El Cajon, using MTS buses and uniforms with MTS branding. Transdev has been under contract with MTS to provide similar services for the past eight years.
"This is great news for MTS and for our riders," said Paul Jablonski, chief executive officer of MTS. "The Transdev team offered a number of important cost-savings solutions and provided innovative ways to improve service for our customers. Transdev is an international company with great experience and depth in providing transit services, including a long history with MTS."
As part of the new contract, MTS will provide 311 buses and two major facilities for operations, maintenance and fueling. The contract also includes funding for more than 700 Transdev operators, mechanics and administration positions in the San Diego region.
"We thank MTS for their continued trust and vote of confidence with this important contract renewal. Transdev has been operating in San Diego since 1996 and we've made great advances in safety and service. We look forward to continuing to provide safe, reliable, top quality service and to collaborating with MTS to further enhance the passenger experience," said Mark Joseph, chief executive officer of Transdev North America.
Priorities for the new contract include:
- Finalize the consolidation of the Chula Vista Transit Operation into the new South Bay Maintenance and Operations Facility with a new 16-bus bay maintenance facility, a new two-story administration building and more
- Increase the level of service to passengers through a new dedicated customer service manager who will lead a team of transit ambassadors assisting riders in the South Bay and East County
- Installing equipment on all buses to provide real-time locations of all vehicles, which will enable making real-time arrival information available to passengers and route management tools to Transdev
- Implementing a new centralized radio and dispatch function where MTS currently runs dispatch operations
- Maintaining a strong focus on key performance indicators like on-time performance, safety and customer service
- Integrating both dispatching and scheduling systems into one combined platform for a more seamless and efficient operation
MTS operates more than 95 bus routes and three Trolley lines on 53 miles of double-tracked railway. Every weekday more than 300,000 passenger trips are taken on MTS bus and Trolley services. For more information on how you can use public transportation and save money, go to www.sdmts.com.
Based in Lombard, IL, Transdev is the largest private-sector operator of multiple modes of transit in North America, including bus, rail, paratransit, shuttle, and sedan and taxi services. Globally, Transdev operates public transportation in 20 countries. Transdev is committed to being the trusted partner of cities, transit authorities and airports through quality execution and innovations in mobility. For more information, go to www.transdevna.com.
Source:Veolia Transportation North America