International Hotel Rates on TripAdvisor Down Seven Percent; European Rates Decline Nine Percent Year-over-Year
Hotel Pricing Report Also Reveals Least Expensive Months to Book on TripAdvisor in Destinations Worldwide
NEWTON, Mass., Feb. 12, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today announced the results of its 2015 hotel pricing report, which reveals that the cost for U.S. travelers to book an international hotel room has decreased seven percent, year-over-year. The average nightly rate for an international hotel room on TripAdvisor is $115 in 2015, compared to $123 in 2014.
The new report helps travelers discover the destinations that offer the greatest year-over-year accommodation value and highlights the most affordable months to stay at hotels worldwide. The analysis includes TripAdvisor hotel pricing data that compares hotel rates from hundreds of booking partners. The report also takes into account changes in U.S. exchange rates over the past year.
Americans Will Now Find Cheaper Hotels in Europe Than in the U.S.
- The average European hotel rate has fallen nine percent since 2014 to a current 2015 average of $121, which is less than current U.S. average of $127 per night.
- This represents a reversal of costs from 2014, when average nightly hotel rates were $133 in Europe and $120 in the U.S.
- Eight of the top 10 countries with the largest percentage hotel rate decrease on TripAdvisor year-over-year are in Europe.
"The strong U.S. dollar is making it more appealing for Americans to travel abroad in 2015," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "While U.S. travelers will find the greatest year-over-over hotel savings available on TripAdvisor in Europe, those planning trips to Africa or the South Pacific will also be able to book rooms for eight percent less on average this year."
Countries with the Largest Percentage Hotel Price Decrease, 2014 to 2015:
|Country|| 2015 Avg. |
Nightly Rate on
| YoY Price |
Where and When to Travel for Hotel Savings
- U.S. – The most affordable month to book a hotel in the U.S. on TripAdvisor in 2015 was in January ($115). Rates this winter and early spring remain under $130 per night, while November is the least expensive month in the back half of the year ($125).
- Europe – February is the least expensive month for hotel stays in Europe ($111). January, March and November all boast average nightly rates under $120.
- Asia – U.S. travelers can find the least expensive hotels in Asia in March ($78). Rates remain fairly consistent throughout the year before increasing in November ($84) and December ($88).
- Middle East – Between May and August hotel rates for U.S. travelers visiting the Middle East average below $160 per night on TripAdvisor, with June being the most affordable at $153.
- Africa – U.S. travelers can find the best hotel rates for Africa in June and July ($135 and $133, respectively). At $155 per night, December is the priciest month to visit.
- South America – Average nightly rates for hotels in South America are at their lowest between March ($116) and June ($119).
- Central America – U.S. travelers can enjoy a seven month span between May and November where average hotel rates on TripAdvisor in Central America are under $125.
- South Pacific – At $131 per night, May is the most affordable month to book a hotel in the South Pacific, followed by June ($133) and April ($134).
- Caribbean – Hotel rates are at their lowest in the Caribbean in September ($212) and October ($217). After the peak winter months, rates average less than $250 per night between May and November.
2015 Average Hotel Rates on TripAdvisor by Month in Select Countries
Notes to editors:
Average nightly hotel rates are based on TripAdvisor hotel pricing data aggregated from booking partners, including online travel agencies and direct hotel suppliers. International hotel rates for 2014 and January 2015 were converted into USD based on the exchange rates that were accurate at the time. Future 2015 rates were converted using current exchange rates as of February 5, 2015. Country rankings for year-over-year hotel price differences are based on countries with at least 100 hotels bookable on TripAdvisor.
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and book the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools that check hundreds of websites to find the best hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 315 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 200 million reviews and opinions covering more than 4.5 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 45 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (Nasdaq:TRIP) manages and operates websites under 24 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com and www.iens.nl), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.tripbod.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, www.viator.com, www.virtualtourist.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, December 2014
**Source: Google Analytics, average monthly unique users, Q3 2014; does not include traffic to daodao.com
CONTACT: Julie Cassetina (617) 670-6529 firstname.lastname@example.org