NOVATO, Calif., Feb. 23, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp. (Nasdaq:RPTP) today announced its support of Rare Disease Day on February 28, 2015 with a series of initiatives and events meant to celebrate advancements in the field of rare and orphan diseases and to support and strengthen patient communities. The company joins EURORDIS and the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) to observe this year's theme of "Living with a Rare Disease – Day-by-Day, Hand-in-Hand!" which recognizes the millions of people whose lives are impacted each day by a rare disease.
"We are excited to join our partners globally in supporting people affected by rare disease and to increase awareness that rare diseases are an important public health issue," said Julie Anne Smith, Raptor's President and CEO. "Raptor is committed to making a difference for rare disease communities by supporting innovative drug development and advocating for legislation that improves the lives of people and families living with a rare disease."
"Global Genes is honored to participate in Raptor's efforts supporting Rare Disease Day. Global Genes is also committed to supporting patients by helping equip them to become successful activists for their disease," said Nicole Boice, Founder and CEO of Global Genes. "Raptor is an important partner in the rare disease community and has always been a very patient-focused organization."
During the week of February 23rd, Raptor will sponsor and participate in several Rare Disease Day activities around the world to pledge its support for those with rare diseases, including:
- Rare Disease Day Legislative Advocates (RDLA) "Rare Disease Day Legislative Conference and Lobby Day" from February 23-27th in Washington DC;
- EURORDIS policy event and Black Pearl Gala in Brussels on February 24th;
- Rare Disease Day activities partnered with EveryLife Foundation;
- Employee participation in the Blue Hand Challenge and dissemination of free inflatable blue hands for people to share photographs of themselves wearing on knowcystinosis.com as part of the iPledge Hand;
- February 26th celebration at the company's Novato offices with presentations by cystinosis patients and Nicole Boice, Founder and CEO of Global Genes and;
- Announcement of recipients of Raptor's inaugural Annual Nephropathic Cystinosis Scholarship Program – Presentation of two $2,500 scholarships.
About Raptor Pharmaceutical
Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp. is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of life-altering therapeutics that treat rare, debilitating and often fatal diseases. The company is engaged in multiple therapeutic areas such as nephropathic cystinosis, Huntington's disease (HD), nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), and Leigh syndrome and other mitochondrial diseases. With an approved product in the U.S. and EU, Raptor also holds several orphan drug designations, including exclusivity for nephropathic cystinosis in the U.S. and EU, and orphan drug designation for HD in the U.S. and EU. A request for orphan designation for Leigh syndrome has been submitted to the FDA. Raptor holds intellectual property for the use of cysteamine in HD and other neurodegenerative disorders including Parkinson's disease and Rett syndrome. For additional information, please visit www.raptorpharma.com.
CONTACT: COMPANY CONTACT: Kimberly Lee, D.O. Vice President, Corporate Strategy and Communications Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp. (415) 408-6351 INVESTOR CONTACT: Westwicke Partners, LLC Robert H. Uhl Managing Director (858) 356-5932 email@example.com MEDIA CONTACT: Cammy Duong Canale Communications (619) 849-5382 firstname.lastname@example.org
Source:Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp.