FARNBOROUGH, Hampshire, United Kingdom, March 10, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Security & Policing 2015 – American Science and Engineering, Inc. ("AS&E") (Nasdaq:ASEI), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, today announced the United Kingdom (UK) debut of MINI Z™, the world's first handheld Z Backscatter® imaging scanner for fast, portable, real-time detection of hidden drugs, explosives, and other organic threats and contraband behind non-metallic surfaces. The MINI Z system enables law enforcement, public safety and other security professionals to determine "on the go" if drugs, explosives or other threats are present in unattended bags, packages, and difficult-to-reach locations such as car interiors and aircraft compartments.
Since its launch in June 2014, the MINI Z system has been named the "Best of What's New" by Popular Science magazine and received the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS) Accolades Award for Security Innovation. Recent customer demonstrations of the MINI Z system for U.S. public safety agencies have led to actual drug seizures, including a large quantity of well-concealed marijuana valued at more than $150,000 USD.
"As AS&E continues to make inroads into the international public safety market, we are very pleased to work together with our new channel partner, Scanna, to introduce the MINI Z to security and police agencies in the UK," said Chuck Dougherty, AS&E's President and CEO. "The MINI Z, like our ZBV® mobile inspection system, is a highly effective, easy-to-use, detection solution that is ideal for detecting security threats wherever and whenever they occur. Using the MINI Z, we are confident that customers in the UK — and elsewhere in the world — will achieve the same, immediate results that U.S. public safety agencies have experienced using the system."
AS&E and Scanna will conduct demos at booth #C96 during the Security & Policing Event 2015, held at the FIVE exhibition hall in Farnborough, Hampshire, UK from March 10–12, 2015. Security & Policing is the UK's premier event for police, law enforcement, and security professionals tasked with security, civil protection, and National Resilience. Scanna is a leading supplier of portable X-ray and postal security equipment and AS&E's authorized supplier of MINI Z systems in the UK.
The MINI Z system is ideal for security and public safety officials for many different applications, including:
- Border and Security Checkpoints: Inspecting vehicle bumpers, tires, and interiors for drugs, explosives, currency and other concealed threats and contraband.
- Drug Interdiction: Screening interiors of vehicles and facilities for concealed drugs and currency.
- Public Safety: Quick screening of unattended and suspicious bags and packages in public spaces.
- Event Security: Screening small personal items to ensure public safety.
- VIP Security: Security sweeps of meeting rooms and furniture to ensure personnel safety.
- Maritime Security: Screening the hulls and bulkheads of suspected drug running boats for contraband or narcotics.
- General Aviation Security: Inspecting the seats, compartments, and panels of planes for hidden contraband.
MINI Z — the World's First Handheld Z Backscatter® Imaging System:
- Scans in places other systems can't reach: The MINI Z system is a compact, single-sided imager that can be used to scan objects in hard-to-reach areas, such as unattended bags, backpacks, or packages in a subway or bus station.
- Unsurpassed detection of organic threats: The MINI Z handheld system uses AS&E's signature Z Backscatter technology, an advanced X-ray imaging technology that produces a real-time image of the scan target, highlighting organic materials that transmission X-ray systems can miss, such as explosives, currency, and drugs. Unlike density meters, trace detectors, or portable transmission X-ray systems, the MINI Z system produces an easy-to-interpret image to quickly detect organic threats and contraband behind non-metallic surfaces.
- An easy to use, all-in-one imaging system: The MINI Z system is self-contained and does not require set-up, enabling immediate operation. The operator controls the scanning function using a simple, intuitive GUI on the system's dedicated tablet, upon which an image of the scanned target appears in real-time.
- Safe, secure, and dependable operation: The MINI Z system is safe for operators, bystanders, and the environment. The system's X-ray dose conforms to the appropriate ANSI, ICRP, NCRP, and EURATOM radiation safety standards. Although the MINI Z is a low-energy and low-dose Z Backscatter system, it is not designed to scan people. The MINI Z system must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, as well as applicable laws and regulations.
Experience the MINI Z system at www.meetminiz.com.
American Science and Engineering, Inc. (AS&E) is the trusted global provider of threat and contraband detection solutions for ports, borders, military, critical infrastructure, law enforcement, and aviation. With over 50 years of experience, AS&E offers proven, advanced X-ray inspection systems to combat terrorism, drug smuggling, illegal immigration, and trade fraud. AS&E systems are designed in a variety of configurations for cargo and vehicle inspection, parcel inspection, and personnel screening. Using a combination of technologies, these systems provide superior detection capabilities, with high-energy, dual-energy, and Z Backscatter X-rays — pioneered by AS&E. Learn more about AS&E products and technologies at www.as-e.com and follow us on Twitter @ase_detects.
Scanna supplies, designs, and manufactures portable X-ray and mail screening equipment for the Defense, Security, Commercial, and Industrial sectors. Based in the UK, with operations in the USA and Middle East, Scanna's client list spans more than 100 countries and includes UK MoD, US DoD and many other NATO forces and federal agencies, plus a wide range of governmental and blue chip commercial organizations.
Safe Harbor Statement: The foregoing press release contains statements concerning AS&E's financial performance, markets and business operations that may be considered "forward-looking" under applicable securities laws. AS&E wishes to caution readers of this press release that actual results might differ materially from those projected in any forward-looking statements. Factors which might cause actual results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements contained herein include the following: significant reductions, delays or cancellations (in full or in part) in procurements of the Company's systems by the United States and other governments; disruption in the supply of any source component incorporated into AS&E's products; litigation seeking to restrict the use of intellectual property used by the Company; limitations under certain laws on the Company's ability to protect its own intellectual property; potential product liability claims against the Company; global political trends and events which affect public perception of the threat presented by drugs, explosives and other contraband; global economic developments and the ability of governments and private organizations to fund purchases of the Company's products to address such threats; the potential insufficiency of Company resources, including human resources, capital, plant and equipment and management systems, to accommodate any future growth; technical problems and other delays that could impact new product development and the Company's ability to adapt to changes in technology and customer requirements; competitive pressures; lengthy sales cycles both in United States government procurement and procurement abroad; future delays in federal funding, the market price of the company's stock prevailing from time to time, the nature of other investment opportunities presented to the company from time to time, the company's cash flows from operations and market and general economic conditions. These and certain other factors which might cause actual results to differ materially from those projected are detailed from time to time in AS&E's periodic reports and registration statements filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which important factors are incorporated herein by reference. AS&E undertakes no obligation to update forward looking statements to reflect changed assumptions, the occurrence of unanticipated events, or changes in future operating results, financial condition or business over time. Readers are further advised to review the "Risk Factors" set forth in the Company's most recent Form 10-Q and Form 10-K, which further detail and supplement the factors described in this Safe Harbor Statement. Among other disclosures, the Risk Factors disclose risks pertaining to that portion of the Company's business that is dependent on United States government contracting as well as international customers.
Source:American Science and Engineering, Inc.