SEATTLE, March 12, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Porch.com (http://porch.com), the home network for homeowners and home professionals, today shares a checklist of six steps homeowners should take when hiring an electrician.
"Hiring a reliable and licensed electrician is always the best way to handle the complicated electrical system of your home," explains Anne Reagan, Editor-In-Chief of Porch. "So having a checklist for hiring the electrician is necessary, as your decision can affect the value of your home."
Here are the six steps Porch recommends homeowners follow when hiring an electrician:
- Qualification and license: Each state has their own rules and regulations regarding the qualification and license of the electrician. In addition to this, verify whether the electrician is insured with the right liability insurance and is registered by the true authorities.
- Work Details and Bid: Understand your requirements first and hire an electrician depending on the nature of the work. Ask the electrician to visit the site, have details on hand (like the replacement light fixture, for example), and evaluate what the project entails. Get the bid and check whether everything of your choice is included in it or not. Try to get bids from different electricians, but when you compare make sure that you compare the bids of electricians with similar skills and experience.
- Time of completion and payment: Before the work starts, get the time schedule from the electrician so that you can arrange accordingly, without interrupting your household. Make sure that the price list includes details of labor and price of materials. If the electrician insists on upfront payment, never pay more than 50% as it may adversely affect the completion of the work. Make the payment schedule in such a way that it matches with the pace of work and material delivery. Having a written contract, stating every details of work can save your money and time.
- Clarify everything: Clear all your doubts about the project and ask him the details or the systematic procedure he is going to follow for successfully completing the project. You can also discuss about the trending electrical enhancement available in the market, like the whole-house surge protector or other smart devices that can protect your entire house and appliances.
- Endorsements: Using Porch to find your electrician will enable you to find endorsed professionals who have worked in your neighborhood. Even with this information, it's helpful to get a list of past clients and inquire about the professional's quality of work.
- Cooperation: Do not interfere in his or her work, as an experienced electrician will know how to complete the job successfully on time. Ensuring that the work area is clear and safe, and that distractions such as pets are out of the way, will help the project go faster.
Porch is the home network, free for homeowners and home professionals. With over 3.2 million professionals and over 130 million projects, Porch enables homeowners to make smart home improvement decisions by giving them the information they need to find the right professionals, get inspiration, and manage their home. The Porch App, a first of its kind app available for iOS gives homeowners direct access to a personal Porch Concierge to help find the best professionals for your home. For more information about Porch, visit http://porch.com and to download the Porch App at http://porch.com/app
Press Assets: porch.com/about/press
CONTACT: Lauren Kellas email@example.com