SAN JOSE, Calif., April 20, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Good Samaritan Hospital announced today the recipients of its 2014 HCA Awards of Distinction. The winners of the Frist Humanitarian Awards, which recognize one physician, one employee and one volunteer who each demonstrate extraordinary concern for the welfare and happiness of patients and their community, are Dr. Mark Bomann, Daphne Teifeld and Maria Javier. The honorees of the Excellence in Nursing Award, celebrating the extraordinary clinical and compassionate care delivered by nurses every day, are Darina Kavanagh and Kim Mallory.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=32248
"Good Samaritan Hospital is dedicated to providing the highest quality patient care, and each of these individuals is being honored because of their ongoing commitment to fulfilling this mission," said Paul Beaupré, CEO of Good Samaritan Hospital. "We are grateful to work alongside these awardees, knowing that our community is growing stronger every day because of the contributions of such passionate individuals."
The nationwide 2014 HCA Awards of Distinction, the highest honor an employee, nurse, physician, and volunteer can receive at HCA, Good Samaritan Hospital's parent company, will be bestowed June 8 at a reception at HCA's Nashville, Tenn. headquarters.
About the Winners: Frist Awards
The First Humanitarian Awards are given annually in recognition of the humanitarian spirit and philanthropic work of the late Dr. Thomas Fr. Frist, Sr., a founder of HCA.
- Dr. Mark Bomann, Frist Physician Award: Dr. Bomann is a revered anesthesiologist who provides the utmost care to his surgical patients. He also fulfills a lifelong mission of serving his fellow man in need around the world. Dr. Bomann has traveled to Peru to treat patients suffering from multi-drug resistant tuberculosis, to Haiti twice to facilitate much-needed surgeries and primary care, and to Kurdistan to serve multi-generational families without access to basic medical care. Additionally, he serves as Medical Director of an elite pararescue special operations division of the military headquartered in the Bay Area. Dr. Bomann played a pivotal role in the "Rebel Heart" rescue last year in a remote Pacific Ocean locale, and helped a Seal Team sniper save his hand after a training session grenade misfire.
- Daphne Teifeld, Frist Volunteer Award: Teifeld has contributed more than 500 hours annually to Good Samaritan Hospital for more than 13 years. She serves as a NICU "baby cuddler," providing a human connection to the smallest, sickest infants who may be in the hospital for nearly seven months. Additionally, Teifeld is a Certified Car Seat Technician who helped launch the hospital's Car Seat Fitting Station program, and acted as a founding member and treasurer for ACCESS, which provides free services including an on-campus RV and host home overnights so that families who live far away from the hospital have supportive places to stay and can focus on their loved ones during hospitalization.
- Maria Javier, Frist Employee Award: Javier has worked at Good Samaritan Hospital as an RN for 28 years. In addition to her devotion to patient care as a nurse, she supports the hospital's Comprehensive Stroke Center through volunteering at hospital fairs and other stroke education efforts. She is also the co-founder of the Gintong Puso Charity Fund, which helps the disadvantaged in Philippines by providing free medical and dental services, and important resources such as wheelchairs, slippers and reading glasses. Further, she assisted victims of Typhoon Hyan in the Philippines with important food and medication provisions, and the rebuilding of destroyed homes.
About the Winners: Excellence in Nursing Awards
The HCA Excellence in Nursing Award recognizes the intrinsic value of nursing practice in accomplishing the mission of providing the highest quality of care to patients and the community, and is being given in two categories: Mentoring and Compassionate.
- Darina Kavanagh, RN, MSN, Mentoring category: Kavanagh has served as Chief Nursing Officer at Good Samaritan Hospital since 2012, and previously had this role at fellow HCA hospital, Regional Medical Center of San Jose. Her mentorship of nurses working in patient care and across associated disciplines is focused on tactics such as shared decision-making, self-reliance, conflict management and staff accountability, all of which has directly resulted in the facility's improved performance and the regaining of the hospital's status as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures ® by The Joint Commission. Her patient-centered philosophy has also led to the revitalization of the Palliative Care Program, the improvement of the Inpatient Hospice Program, and increased collaboration and leadership in working with organ and tissue transplant patients.
- Kim Mallory, Compassionate Care category: Mallory has been a staff nurse in the Labor and Delivery Department for 19 years. She is an active member of the maternal transport team, evaluating patients and communicating with perinatologists at other facilities prior to ambulance or helicopter transfers to Good Samaritan Hospital. She also coordinates studies for high-risk pregnancies as a research nurse, and has provided her nursing services to the Mbarara University Teaching Hospital in Uganda for two successive years.
About Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital is a 474 bed acute care hospital in the heart of Silicon Valley, with two locations, the main campus in San Jose, California and the Mission Oaks campus in Los Gatos, California. Recognized nationally for quality and safety, it has an "A" from The Leapfrog Group and has been voted a "Family Favorite" hospital for more than ten years. It is one of only ten hospitals nationwide to be awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer four consecutive times. Good Samaritan is a leader in neurosciences, high-risk obstetrics, advanced cardiology and innovative surgery techniques, and is a Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Center and an accredited Chest Pain Center. Good Samaritan has been delivering elite level care with compassion since 1965. For more information visit, www.goodsamsanjose.com.
CONTACT: Media Contacts: Jill Kipnis email@example.com 925-790-2635
Source:Good Samaritan Hospital