WASHINGTON, May 5, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), the advocate for the profession of directorship, today announced that this year's Blue Ribbon Commission will focus on the board's role in driving long-term value creation. Throughout the spring and summer, more than 20 experienced public company directors and leading governance professionals will investigate the conditions that encourage boards and management to focus on long-term strategy.
"In today's dynamic corporate environment, it can be challenging for the executive team to keep the organization's long-term strategy in focus while delivering successful near-term results," said NACD CEO Ken Daly. "The commission will consider the tools available to boards which enable management to take a longer view on achieving the company's goals."
The NACD Blue Ribbon Commission will be led by two co-chairs with extensive experience in corporate strategy: Karen N. Horn, director at Eli Lilly, Norfolk Southern, and Simon Property Group; and William E. McCracken, director at MDU Resources Group and former CEO and chairman of CA Inc.
In addition to the two co-chairs, the 2015 commissioners constitute a roster of distinguished corporate leaders and governance experts. While subject to change, the NACD Blue Ribbon Commission on Long-Term Value Creation currently includes the following members:
- Dennis R. Beresford, director, NACD
- Janet F. Clark, director, EOG Resources, Exterran Holdings
- Reatha Clark King, chair, NACD
- Kenneth Daly, CEO, NACD
- The Hon. Cari M. Dominguez, director, ManpowerGroup Inc., Triple-S Management Corp., NACD
- Theodore L. Dysart, vice chairman, Heidrick & Struggles
- Charles M. Elson, director, Bob Evans, Health South
- Former Gov. John Engler, president, Business Roundtable; director, K12, Universal Forest Products
- Linda Fayne Levinson, director, Hertz, Ingram Micro, NCR, Western Union
- Margaret M. Foran, director, Occidental, Prudential
- Jonathan F. Foster, director, Berry Plastics Group, Chemtura, Lear, Masonite
- Helene Gayle, director, Coca-Cola, Colgate-Palmolive
- Raymond V. Gilmartin, director, General Mills, NACD
- Peter R. Gleason, president, NACD
- Holly J. Gregory, partner, Sidley Austin
- Michele J. Hooper, director, UnitedHealth Group, PPG Industries, Center for Audit Quality
- Patrick A. Lee, senior advisor, KPMG's Audit Committee Institute
- William A. Roskin, director, Sony, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
- David N. Swinford, president and CEO, Pearl Meyer & Partners
- Former Sen. Olympia Snowe, director, Aetna
- Dennis T. Whalen, partner-in-charge and executive director, KPMG's Audit Committee Institute
- William J. White, director, Polyera, NACD
- Alex Wittenberg, partner, Oliver Wyman; executive director, Marsh & McLennan Companies Global Risk Center
- Dona Young, director, AEGON NV, Foot Locker, Save the Children
Titles and affiliations of commissioners in this list are selective and do not include all directorships. Commissioners participate as a service to the governance community and not as representatives of any organization or affiliation.
The commission's report is scheduled for release in September 2015.
The National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) is the advocate for the profession of directorship and is focused on advancing exemplary board leadership. Informed by more than 35 years of experience, NACD delivers insights and resources that more than 16,000 corporate director members rely on to make sound strategic decisions and confidently confront complex business challenges. NACD provides world-class director education programs, national peer-exchange forums, and proprietary research to promote director professionalism, ultimately enhancing the economic sustainability of the corporate enterprise and bolstering stakeholder confidence. Fostering collaboration among directors, investors, and governance stakeholders, NACD is shaping the future of board leadership. To learn more about NACD, visit www.NACDonline.org. To become an NACD member, contact Kelly Dodd at kkdodd@NACDonline.org or 202-380-1891.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Henry Stoever Chief Marketing Officer 202-775-0509 hstoever@NACDonline.orgSource:National Association of Corporate Directors