NEWTON, Mass., May 5, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today revealed its Summer Vacation Value Report, a resource identifying the top 10 destinations for U.S. travelers this summer, along with the average one-week costs for hotels, airfare, and meals. The report also helps travelers discover summer savings at these destinations, by highlighting the least expensive week to visit, highly-rated value hotels, inexpensive eateries and outstanding free attractions.
"Ninety percent of U.S. respondents are planning a getaway this summer according to a recent TripAdvisor survey," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "Travelers appear eager to take advantage of the strong U.S. dollar by planning trips abroad, as six of the 10 most-searched destinations on TripAdvisor for summer travel are located outside the U.S."
Top 10 Summer Destinations and Average Summer Costs
|Destination|| Avg. Nightly |
| Avg. Domestic US |
| Avg. |
| Avg. Cost of a |
One-Week Summer Trip
|1.||Las Vegas, Nevada||$134||$417||$31||$2,006|
|2.||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina||$193||$422||$17||$2,130|
|5.||Punta Cana, Dominican Republic||$238||$677||$30||$2,973|
|7.||New York City, New York||$302||$378||$32||$3,164|
|9.||Playa del Carmen, Mexico||$155||$552||$15||$1,952|
"Travelers can find value toward the end of August, when prices tend to dip below their mid-summer peak," continued Ferencsik. "Those looking to find a bargain on accommodations can compare prices and save up to 30 percent when they book a hotel on TripAdvisor."
Summer Vacation Value Itineraries
1.Las Vegas, Nevada
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: June 1 - 7: $1,833
- Value Hotel: Desert Rose Resort – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $128
- Value Restaurant: Grand Lux Café – Entrees $10 - $15
- Free Attraction: Conservatory & Botanical Gardens at Bellagio
2.Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 24 - 30: $1,706
- Value Hotel: BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $163
- Value Restaurant: Simply Southern Smokehouse – Dinner buffet $10
- Free Attraction: Grand Strand
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 17 - 23: $1,556
- Value Hotel: The Point Orlando Resort – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $118
- Value Restaurant: Yellow Dog Eats – Entrees $9 - $13
- Free Attraction: Lake Eola Park
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 24 - 30: $1,729
- Value Hotel: Mallorca Hotel & Suites – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $89
- Value Restaurant: Pik Nik – Entrees $5 - $10
- Free Attraction: Playa Delfines
5. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 24 - 30: $2,679
- Value Hotel: The MT Hotel – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $94
- Value Restaurant: Balicana – Entrees $8.50 - $11
- Free Attraction: Bavaro Beach
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 3 - 10: $2,920
- Value Hotel: New Orient Hotel – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $163
- Value Restaurant: Au Forum – Entrees $7.50 - $12
- Free Attraction: Luxembourg Gardens
7.New York City, New York
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: June 29 - July 5: $2,922
- Value Hotel: Chelsea Lodge– Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $184
- Value Restaurant: Hummus Place – Entrees $9 - $14
- Free Attraction: The High Line
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 17 - 23: $3,732
- Value Hotel: The Hide London – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $157
- Value Restaurant: Bunnychow – Snack-sized entrees $6 - $7.50
- Free Attraction: St. James's Park
9.Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 24 - 30: $1,789
- Value Hotel: Luna Blue Hotel – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $83
- Value Restaurant: Kaxapa Factory – Entrees $4.50 - $5.50
- Free Attraction: Boca Paila
Least Expensive Summer Week to Visit: August 24 - 30: $2,935
- Value Hotel: Hotel Re di Roma – Bookable on TripAdvisor at an average nightly summer rate of: $92
- Value Restaurant: NOI Nuova Osteria Italiana – Entrees $11 - $16
- Free Attraction: Arcibasilica di San Giovanni in Laterano
Notes to Editors
Top destinations for U.S. travelers during the upcoming summer travel period (June 1, 2015 – August 31, 2015) according to TripAdvisor site search data. All hotel and airfare prices are based on trips departing and returning between June 1 and August 31, 2015.
Average costs to visit the top summer travel destinations are representative of a one-week trip including a seven night hotel stay, roundtrip airfare from the domestic U.S., and three restaurant meals per day.
Avg. Nightly Hotel Rate includes the average cost of a seven night stay in a hotel bookable on TripAdvisor, aggregated from hundreds of booking partners, including online travel agencies and direct hotel suppliers.
Avg. Airfare includes the average domestic round-trip airfare to each destination based on searches conducted through TripAdvisor Flights.
Avg. Meal Price includes the average meal cost per person, excluding drinks, tax and tip. Prices are sourced from restaurants listed on TripAdvisor.
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and book the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools that check hundreds of websites to find the best hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 315 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 200 million reviews and opinions covering more than 4.5 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 45 countries worldwide. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (Nasdaq:TRIP) manages and operates websites under 24 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.iens.nl and www.besttables.com), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.tripbod.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, www.viator.com, www.virtualtourist.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, December 2014
**Source: Google Analytics, average monthly unique users, Q3 2014
CONTACT: Erin Millard firstname.lastname@example.org (617) 795-7985