HAMPTON, N.J., May 7, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bellerophon Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq:BLPH), a clinical-stage biotherapeutics company, today announced the formation of an INOpulse® Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) comprised of internationally renowned experts in pulmonary hypertension (PH). The SAB will work closely with Bellerophon's medical team as the Company prepares to advance the development of its proprietary inhaled nitric oxide drug-device combination technology across a range of potential indications for patients affected by PH.
"Creation of the INOpulse Scientific Advisory Board underscores our commitment to the development of our technology in pulmonary hypertension for chronic outpatient use to benefit patients with various forms of this debilitating disease," said Jonathan Peacock, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Bellerophon. "We are especially pleased to have such a distinguished group of thought leaders working with us to broaden and advance our programs in PH. The participation of these distinguished SAB members reflects the advances we have made in our clinical programs in the past year, and will help us define and advance our programs in the next few years."
Members of the INOpulse Scientific Advisory Board are:
- Greg Elliot, M.D., MACP, Medical Director of the Pulmonary Hypertension Center and Chairman of the Department of Medicine at Intermountain Medical Center and Professor of Medicine at the University of Utah
- Nazzareno Galie, M.D., Head of the Pulmonary Hypertension Center at the University of Bologna
- Ardeschir Ghofrani, M.D., Associate Professor for Internal Medicine and Head of the Pulmonary Hypertension Division at University Hospital, Giessen
- Fernando Martinez, M.D., Executive Vice Chair of Medicine at the Weill Cornell Medical College and New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Vallerie McLaughlin, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Director of the Pulmonary Hypertension Program at the University of Michigan; Attending Physician at the University of Michigan Health System in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Robert Naeije, M.D., Ph.D, Professor and Chairman of the Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology at Erasme University Hospital, Brussels
- Steve Rennard, M.D., Larson Professor of Medicine in the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha
- Lewis Rubin, M.D., FACP, FCCP, FAHA, FRCP, Emeritus Professor of Medicine and Emeritus Director of Pulmonary and Critical Care at the University of California in San Diego
- Olivier Sitbon, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Respiratory Medicine at the South Paris University
INOpulse is Bellerophon's proprietary pulsatile nitric oxide drug-device combination technology for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension in the chronic outpatient setting. Two of the Company's programs using this technology are currently in development – one for the treatment of PAH is expected to begin Phase 3 trials later this year, and a second for the treatment of PH-COPD is being evaluated for a Phase 2b trial.
Nitric oxide is naturally produced and released by portions of the blood vessels and results in smooth muscle relaxation. In particular, nitric oxide controls muscle tone in blood vessels and, thus, is an important factor in regulating blood pressure. As the muscles of the blood vessels relax, blood flow increases, helping the heart to deliver more blood to the body. Bellerophon Therapeutics is evaluating the effect of nitric oxide when administered by inhalation, as a pulsed dose, to the alveoli of the lungs. The Company expects inhaled nitric oxide, delivered using the INOpulse device, to act in a similar manner to naturally produced nitric oxide with minimal effects on blood pressure outside of the lungs, an important safety consideration. Bellerophon acquired exclusive worldwide rights to develop and commercialize INOpulse in PAH, PH-COPD and pulmonary hypertension associated with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (PH-IPF) from Ikaria, now a part of Mallinckrodt Plc. Bellerophon is also evaluating the potential use of INOpulse for Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension (CTEPH) and PH associated with Sarcoidosis, subject to finalizing discussions and entering into an agreement for additional licensing rights from Mallinckrodt.
Bellerophon Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotherapeutics company focused on developing innovative therapies at the intersection of drugs and devices that address significant unmet medical needs in the treatment of cardiopulmonary and cardiac diseases. Two of the company's product candidates are based on its proprietary pulsatile nitric oxide delivery device, INOpulse, one for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) and a second for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (PH-COPD). Bellerophon's third product candidate is bioabsorbable cardiac matrix (BCM), which is an injectable device currently undergoing a trial for the prevention of cardiac remodeling and subsequent congestive heart failure following acute myocardial infarction (AMI), commonly known as a heart attack. This trial, which is expected to report results in mid-2015, is a CE mark registration trial in the European Union and is comparable to a Phase 2 trial in the United States. Bellerophon has an exclusive worldwide license to BCM from BioLineRx Ltd. For more information, visit www.bellerophon.com.
Any statements in this press release about Bellerophon's future expectations, plans and prospects constitute forward-looking statements for purposes of the safe harbor provisions under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors. Any forward-looking statements represent Bellerophon's views only as of the date of this press release. Bellerophon anticipates that subsequent events and developments will cause its views to change. While Bellerophon may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, Bellerophon specifically disclaims any obligation to do so.
CONTACT: At Bellerophon: Manesh Naidu, Chief Business Officer (908) 574-4770 At Rx Communications Group: Paula Schwartz (Investors) (917) 322-2216 Eric Goldman (Media) (917) 322-2563 egoldman@RxIR.com
Source:Bellerophon Therapeutics LLC